View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
You just activated his Trek card

It's Food Day again in the PNQ thread!

1. Were New York-style pizzas and Chicago-style pizzas really invented in those cities?
2. I can sort of understand the evolution of black licorice, but why make something the exact same shape, only strawberry-flavored? Not that I'm complaining, I love red vines and gag on the black ones, I'm just saying that while the evolution of black licorice is understandable, the evolution of red ones is less so.
3. Does the term "low-sodium Saltine crackers" seem a little bizarre to anyone?
4. Along these same lines, is there really no artificial sodium-free "salt flavor" yet?
5. I'm still confused about this whole umami/savory/"sixth flavor" business. Anyone care to take a stab at it?
6. Simularly, while I know there's a connection between smell and taste, how? Do the sensory tracks somehow overlap to create a new sensation once in awhile? Is smell just a different "data layer" (to use a bizarre optical disc metaphor) than taste?
7. Knowing that it's possible to overknead bread dough, has someone come up with a unit for this, to calculate how many times you have to fold and smash the stuff?
8. I think I once read an Uncle John's article about this, but still...how can one set of people say cookie and another set say biscuit, which means something completely different to the first set? It's a cycle of confusion!
9. Whatever happened to Sprite Remix? I know that it was just a temporary thing, but did it seriously not sell enough? I should've stocked up on Berryclear when I had the chance, I loved that stuff...

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.