View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
4. Along these same lines, is there really no artificial sodium-free "salt flavor" yet?
I would guess not, though there's a product in the UK called LoSalt which contains only a third sodium chloride (the other two thirds being potassium chloride), which is supposed to be a healthier alternative.

Quote:
5. I'm still confused about this whole umami/savory/"sixth flavor" business. Anyone care to take a stab at it?
What's to be confused about? It's just a thing we have taste receptors for, though I seem to vaguely remember we have less of those taste buds than the ones for other flavours.

Quote:
6. Simularly, while I know there's a connection between smell and taste, how? Do the sensory tracks somehow overlap to create a new sensation once in awhile? Is smell just a different "data layer" (to use a bizarre optical disc metaphor) than taste?
I suspect there will be an evolutionary reason for them being tied together like that; what's a more interesting question to me is is this a human thing, or does it effect other animals too?

Quote:
7. Knowing that it's possible to overknead bread dough, has someone come up with a unit for this, to calculate how many times you have to fold and smash the stuff?
I expect so, even if it's completely unscientific or just plain made up (go look up the 'smoot' on Wikipedia).
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants