View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc
Default Re: Anyone else getting pop-ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium
Hi...just wondering if anyone else was getting pop-ups on this site? I'm wondering if it is an adware program or a new thing on 5MV. All the pop-ups are along the lines of, "Is your computer at risk" or "Is computer protected".

Anyone else getting these on 5MV and 5MV Forums? Or is it most likely adware?
No, there are definitely no pop-ups on 5MV.

Those kind of pop-ups are screaming adware. (and spyware, and possibly malware too!)

I have quite a bit of experience with removing spyware on computers, having fixed >35 computers on a variety of OSes.

Here's my reccomendations:

STEP 1: SPYWARE REMOVAL

There are two highly rated (and entirely free!) spyware removal programs I have found to be very useful, I reccomend downloading them, updating the definitions and scanning for spyware:

Ad-Aware SE Personal

1. Download it, and install it.
2. Run it, and run the updating component to obtain the newest definitions.
3. Scan you computer for spyware.
4. If (or when) it comes up and you have spyware, right-click on a check-box and hit "select all"
5. Then hit next, to delete all the spyware
6. If it says "some problems cannot be fixed, may Ad-Aware run on restart?" click yes, and read SERIOUS TROUBLE section.

Spybot Search & Destroy

2. Run it, and run the updating component to obtain the newest definitions.
3. Scan you computer for spyware.
4. If it detects anything, make sure all boxes are checked, and hit "fix selected problems"
5. If it says "some problems couldn' be fixed, may Spybot run on restart?" click yes, and read SERIOUS TROUBLE section.
6. Immunize your system, to prevent spyware from ever being installed by clicking on the immunize icon. And also, activate the bad download blocker if it isn't already on. (You can immunize before you scan, but it must be done after you update.)

Step 1.5: Re-scan

You should restart and scan again with both Ad-Aware and Spybot, even if they didn't tell you you needed to. This is because oftentimes spyware will install hooks into your system that will re-install the spyware, and they can't be detected until they activate (by restarting).

STEP 2: IMMUNIZE YOUR SYSTEM
(Note: Actually, the step 6 of the last STEP was immunizing too)

These programs won't remove the spyware from your computer, but protect your computer against any spyware being installed in the first place!

SpywareBlaster

2. Run it, then click on "Enable All Protection" to protect your computer.
3. Update the definitions by clicking on "Download Latest Protection Updates"
4. Enable all protection for the unprotected items now too.

SpywareGuard
Notice: SpywareGuard may interfere with antivirus software, but this is unlikely.

2. Run the "LiveUpdate" utility.
3. This is all you need to do, but you can right-click on the icon to customize it if you want.

STEP 3: KEEPING YOUR SYSTEM SECURE, AND ADDTIONAL INFORMATION

Update Your Software, and Scan Every So Often

Be sure to run the update function on all four programs to obtain the newest updates, and scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot both a least once a month. The protection by SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard is automatic.

Windows Update

If you are using the Windows operating system, you should alwyas check for updates at Windows Update. You should do this at least once a month. EVERYONE running ANY version of windows should do this, spyware or not. Additionally, if you are running XP, you should turn on Automatic Updates to keep your computer protected without having to go to Windows Update every month.

Windows XP Service Pack 2

If you're running Windows XP, this is a great update to have - it secures your computer, adds a free pop-up blocker to IE, and comes with a free firewall! You get this through Windows Update, described above.

Spybot Search & Destroy Advanced Mode

Spybot also has an advanced mode with lots of other great tools, and some extra protection too, but I wouldn't reccomend turning it on, unless you're relatively comfortable with the workings of your computer, but it's not that complex. You turn it on in the "Mode" menu.

Firefox

With the protection provided by Spybot (both the bad download blocker and immunization) and by Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard, IE is relatively secure. (And if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2, IE is quite secure, and you really don't have to worry.)

However, Firefox is largely considered still more secure. You can download and use it if you want, this is by no means neccessary, but might be helpful.

Note: You will have to re-run SpywareBlaster to install its protection for Firefox after you install it. You can protect Firefox by clicking on the "Enable All Protection".

Google Toolbar

In addition to providing one-click access to google's searching, it also comes with a free pop-up blocker! (if you have XP SP2, you don't need it as SP2 comes with a pop-up blocker, unless, of course, you just want the toolbar for the google search. )

SERIOUS TROUBLE (Hopefully, no one will have to do any of this)

If either Spybot or Ad-Aware said they need to restart to fix problems, you likely have some serious problems.

First, try restarting (you may have to more than once) and they'll run on startup. Also, try re-rerunning them a few more times.

If this still doesn't work, boot your computer in Safe Mode and run them both.

If you still have spyware, even after all this, you'll have to contact me for more information.

Spyware Trivia

Spyware: Software that spies on your activity, steals your credit cards, passwords, and opens you up to most identity theft.
Adware: Software that gives you pop-up ads and other types of ads that aren't normally seen. Can also give you spam along with spyware.
Malware: Actually damages your computer's performance, and can slow down your computer.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add it!

Also, even if you don't notice it, you might have spyware and should follow these steps as much and as soon as possible. Often by the time you notice it, you've got a lot.

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!