View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There have been a few days without strong wind, which means they've been able to establish control lines around 40% of it. No new homes have been lost since that horrible Friday when the fire rampaged through 200+ homes.

I know ABC News in Australia had a story about it, as did news outlets in New Zealand and Malaysia and local news organisations in the States. What really pisses me off is that none of the major news networks have showed the slightest interest. ABC had a short story, and MSNBC had a brief photo montage with voiceover in which they managed to completely mispronounce the name of the city. One of CNN.com's headlines was about Whitney Houston watching her husband get arrested. When did Whitney Houston get so fricking important that she makes headlines and one of the largest mass evacuations in North American history goes unnoticed.

Goddamn American media. This is one of the reasons the rest of the world thinks of Americans as self-absorbed and ignorant. Sorry for the rant, but I've had a harrowing weekend.[/colorost_uid0]