View Single Post
Old 02-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I like it. Can't recall which comment by Sa'ar it was that provoked this, but good job, eh?[/quoteost_uid0]

It was in an email:

Five Minute History of the Southern Slavs:

Once upon a time on the Steppes there were some Slavs. Under pressure from tribes further east, they moved into what used to be Illyria and took over. Over time they managed to split into six (or more) different nationalities who declared everlasting blood feuds on each other and all their neighbours, the end.

Being an equal-opportunity satirist, I then slagged my own Celtic ancestors (warning: not responsible for insult of offense taken on behalf of people dead for 2500 years):

Once upon a time there were a bunch of people living in Switzerland who didn't go anywhere, until they got horses and then went everywhere. They ruled most of Europe until they got stuck between the filthy Germans on one side and the damned Romans on the other. The Romans didn't fight in the time honoured manner of painting yourself blue, stripping naked and then running screaming at your opponent in a disorganised mob. As a result, the Celts got their arses kicked and got swept aside to some rainy miserable islands, where they proceeded to fight amongst themselves and get occupied by the Sassenach, until they took over the British Empire from the inside. The end.

[quoteost_uid0]Roman Legion: We have marched here to kill your soldiers and steal your country!
Cleopatra: Oh! Tall, strong, dark men have arrived to take my country, and to take me! Amon-Ra, I`m SO turned on![/quoteost_uid0]

Dark? Yes, in the classical sense as it applies to hair and not pigmentation. Strong? Militarily, yes. Tall? Hardly. *snicker*

Nice job. Pay my nitpicking no mind.[/colorost_uid0]