View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Sounds like what you need...is a Doctor

SPOILERS!

[spoiler]And if the rumour about Jack being the Doctor's son is true, there will be a copious quantity of blood dripping from RNT's office.[/spoiler]

Hmm. Another mixed bag. Simm is good as the Master, I'll grant. He's good as the Master in a 1972 serial. Then you could get away with hamminess, which now is just out of place. At times, the over-acting spilled over a bit too far, too (such as meeting the Jones' at the airport), such that it made Ainley and Roberts look restrained, but...eh.

Although again with the childish humour, and the cross-species love, which seems even more unlikely given the Master's arrogance - and his comment in "Utopia" about being killed by a female...a Time Lord falling in love with a human is rather like a human falling in love with a butterfly - it may be pretty, but it's thoroughly stupid, and dead in no time. You couldn't even use it for casual sex [something I neither condone nor approve of] - as a relationship, it's pointless.

I did like the shots of Gallifrey - very well done there, although the whole idea of Time Lords procreating is bizarre, IMO - I can't even get my head around the concept of...well, put it this way. Borusa or Flavia in bed, even with another Gallifreyan. Exactly.

Although, come to think of it, it didn't exactly look old. Which given that it had been built ten-million years previously...

Besides, Rassilon is modelled on Divi Augustus, who was very much a prude, and wouldn't have thought that sort of thing ought to go on (though wouldn't have let that stop him getting it on with whoever he fancied), and there's the whole question of the Looms, the Great Houses, the Pythia, etc.

That's rather nitpicky, though.

Also, the Time Lords resurrecting him? Hmmm. A little too convenient, IMO. As usual, an explanation that doesn't actually explain.

the Toclafane remind me of the Spheroids (?) of Spheron I in Futurama ("we demand bouncing!" "And rolling!" &c.), but otherwise are OK, although their voices are a little annoying, and about as scary as a pink, fluffy Slitheen.

Erm. Anyone else spot the Time Lord sign on the Valiant?

I did like the 'paradox machine', but there's been no explanation of why the Toclafane are a paradox. Also, if the Master has heard the sound of drums all his life, why are we only hearing about it now?

Direction was bland and the music steadily got worse. The Master, too, now is a naff twat from down the pub, but I was expecting that.

Pace was good, the story arc worked, even if we did find out what was going to happen rather too early. Curious to see how the Time Lords fit into this.

Like so many RTD stories (yes, he's earned his actual name back...), flawed, but a great basic idea.

Oh, and what the hell was that about choosing their names? We're not meant to know why the Doctor is the Doctor, or how, or anything else. He just is. Like time itself.

Would be 6/10, but it gains a point for the use of actual Time Lord dress (although the idea of a Time Lord outside the Citadel except for a ceremonial purpose and the naming of a continent "Wild Endeavours" knocks it down half a point).

The final CV rating therefore is 6.5/10

[Edit: What a long review!]
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!

Last edited by Chancellor Valium; 06-23-2007 at 11:18 PM.