View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

It's not really that the Golden Demographic watches Stargate more than Enterprise. Stargate's fanbase hasn't had anything to divide it since Shanks returned, and it's had an effective and consistent publicity treatment from the various networks.

Enterprise has opposition from the moment of conception due to iffy or divisive decisions on the part of TPTB. Messing with canon, weird opening credits, not even called "Star Trek" for the first season... The Killer Bs at the helm (everyone is familiar with the sentiment that Voyager became Star Trek: Seven of Nine, for example, poisoning people to the idea of Braga's contribution)... Vulcan in catsuit... decon gel... disorganized writing... Etc. People perceived a lot of these decisions as a lack of respect to the fans on the part of B&B, and decided "I'm not watching it" without giving it a chance.

Angel and Firefly were very much cult shows heavy on arc and characterization which required long viewing to really understand. Stargate is less arc-based, less cult, and has been in a stronger position since the beginning. The network ordered 2 seasons off the bat, and then another two a year (I think) later, thus guaranteeing 4 seasons at the beginning of the series. Enterprise never got that treatment.

To me, it looks like severe mismanagement. ENT needed a WAY better media campaign, for one. B&B would have done well to make some gestures toward the existing fanbase early in the development of the concept to minimize the animosity. 'Course, hindsight is 20/20. And UPN's always sucked with management.

/punditry