View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldoof
@pointy
but doesn't that mean that also the future moments exist somewhere?
so do you even have choices to make without those moments change all the time?

and if it is so ... why is it that the "past" moments are sensible to us but not the "future" ones? maybe it comes from the fact that the "future" moments like I said change instantly when we make a decision..... so they are not sensible to us at all

(I like torturing my brain with all this :wink: )
I should clarify anyway that I don't just mean "past" moments are fixed in time, becuse again that's the linear view. I mean that all points in time are fixed. When it comes to time, y'see, we can only think in straight lines because of the fundamental nature of how we percieve it. "The Future" only seems to be in flux because we have not experienced it yet - from our point of view it doesn't actually matter if all our future moments are already fixed because it seems to us that they haven't. You can argue that free will is an illusion, but I don't think that it is because we do genuinely decide for ourselves what our actions will be - that those actions are already fixed in a moment of time is an irrelevancy.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants