Thread: request a fiver
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 PM
You just activated his Trek card

I don't know anything about the OC, but you do raise a good point. How do you define sci fi? I suppose you could claim that there are only a few discrete realms of fiction, such as fantasy, sci fi, historical fiction, etc. If we define sci fi as any fictional world where elements that aren't found in the "real world" are based on science (or at least pseudoscience), then Trigun definitely qualifies. Pure fantasy contains elements that can't possibly exist, at least given our current understanding of nature. We can imagine interstellar travel, cybernetics, infusing photosyntesis into a humanoid form, etc, as being possible so Trigun is sci fi. Pure fantasy contains elements that we don't even TRY to explain. Magic, leprechauns making pots of gold out of nothing, designing guys like Juggernaut that clearly defy the laws of physics, etc are fantasy. Imagine it as the difference between Batman and Superman. We try to explain the "science" of Superman, but we all know that it's blatantly impossible. Batman, however, is supposed to have everything about him be scientifically plausible, if nothing else. Batman is sci fi, Superman is fantasy.

Comments?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.