View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Kira"][quoteost_uid0="galibert"]But if you want to bitch at bad physics, please tell me what the nx-01 was stuck on that the schuttlepods had to somehow wrench it out of.[/quoteost_uid0]
Remember the big explosion that harmed Trip in the first place? And how they spent the entire episode trying to repair the engines? Â They weren't stuck, they were just without propulsion. Â (Why they didn't have impulse is something I'm a little fuzzy on.) Â They needed to get out of the cloud so the shuttlepods towed them.[/quoteost_uid0]
It's not having to tow them, it's the acceleration pattern that's all wrong. Â They tow, the enterprise doesn't move, they tow harder, still doesn't move, they tow hardest, a shudder and suddendly it moves, and they need less traction for more acceleration after that point.

Problem is, only adhesion forces have this kind of pattern, countering the force you apply exactly until you reach a limit where all the countering force dissapears. Â Pressure from the gases around would be proportional to v squared (i.e. pulling would be harder as they accelerate with no resistance at startup), magnetic field would be position-dependant only and independant of the towing forces.

So the enterprise was stuck on something, but there is a annoying lack of something around....

Of course only B5 seemed to care about space movement physics anyway :-)

OG.[/colorost_uid0]