View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
You just activated his Trek card

April 13th, 1967, "Operation-Annihilate"

You know, I suddenly wonder why they didn't swap this episode and "City...", making "City..." a two-part cliffhanger.

Incidentally, I'm not going to stick to a weekly schedule with this all summer. There isn't enough interest, not a single person responded with what they'd like me to do. Maybe I'll do a movie or animated episode once in awhile when I feel like it, maybe I won't. We'll see how I feel about returning to a weekly schedule for Season Two in the fall. Ditto for NextGen's 30th.

The fiver (by Tate)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The episode:

* Kirk's brother George and his family lives here. And yet they were never mentioned before or since. Well, George had a cameo in the reboot, but the character was ultimately rewritten to be someone else. Besides, I don't care about the Kelvinverse anyway. If you want more on Kirk's nephew Peter, I refer you to the excellent novel Sarek. Peter hooks up with a Klingon woman and everything!
* "No Federation contacts for over a year." Yeah, no. I get that TOS was going for the "frontier" feeling, but that's just too much for anything other than an automated station. Things go wrong, and in TOS they often do. Furthermore, subspace isn't nearly fast or reliable enough at this point in time to be the main contact method. There should be a Federation-affiliated ship dropping by monthly, if not more often.
* I do appreciate when the enemy is nonhumanoid and nonintelligent. It shows more imagiantion.
* The Vulcan inner eyelid makes sense, but that doesn't make it feel any less like a blatant copout. I'd have preferred "Vulcans can handle eye transplants easier than humans can, he'll be back on duty in a few weeks" and then never mention it again, quite frankly.

The fiver:

I do like the "I have a brother?" "You had a brother." gag, but a few more variations would've been nice.

Aurelan: The evil creatures came eight months ago and they're using pain to force us to do whatever they want us to do. GAK!
Kirk: That's it? She's dead? I was expecting at least an emotionally charged plea that I stop the creatures.
Aurelan: Oh, by the way, please please PLEASE (sob) DON'T LET THEM GO ANY FURTHER! GAK!

Today that first "GAK!" would've been "ACK!" to mark the pseudo-death.

Spock: The creature's dead, but I'm blind.
McCoy: Bwahaha! I mean, oh no! That's too bad!

Maniacal laughter from Bones. That's a new one.

Captain's Log: Now for your Denevan weather forecast. Expect it to be VERY sunny today. You giant evil brain cell creatures may want to stay inside today, or, better yet, DIE! DIE! DIEDIEDIE--
Sulu: Captain, have you considered the effect of ultraviolet light on human skin? We're talking an epidemic of skin cancer.
Kirk: Hey! What did I tell you about my logs?

Is this a reference to another fiver?

YouTube:

The attack of the flying rubber pancakes.
It's raining sizzling rubber pancakes!

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.