View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 AM
whathistitleis

Send a message via MSN to whoiam

Just been watching the Sontaran Experiment? Or whatever the title was. The first part, at any rate.

Well, the killer in this one seem a little more... threatening... then the little fat monsters in the season opener (and less like flaming ents then the things in Pompeii), which is always a plus. Martha's cameo inspired a major 'here we go again' for anyone that remembers Rose's supposedly final episode...

Much as I hate to say it, apart from their stupid little wardance at the end, the Sontarens actually made more interesting villains then the cybermen two seasons ago. Probably felt right for padding the whole thing out to two-parter length, but wardances went out of fashion on earth for a reason (i.e. they're only effective against opposition that's close enough to see you, and opposition close enough to see you will just shoot you whilst you're prancing around.) Not the sort of thing you'd expect the greatest soldiers in the universe to indulge in. That said, someone who's watched the original series will probably tell me it's as traditional as 'EXTERMINATE!'.

Plot - approaching average.
Dialogue - so-so
Pacing - If you're sticking in a clip show, you don't have enough plot.
Characterisation - 2.5-D - I have to feel UNIT was somewhat shortchanged in this regard, but the others did as well as any do in a single episode.
Special Effects - Pretty few needed, and they were done well enough.
Acting: Seems to be improving as the season goes on.

Vote Morphine - the party for Not Crushing Opium!

Yoda, to his ice-cream: The sauce is upon you, and soon, sprinkles must fall!