View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatac
There's actually a few good reality shows...Mythbusters and Monster Garage come to mind, as does the Long Way Round miniseries.

Gatac
I guess my reality-show bashing might have given the wrong impression.

There are some good reality shows...Mythbusters is fun, and there was Junkyard Wars. And the Mole 2. And of course all the "house" series's...1900 house, 1940's house, Edwardian House, Pioneer House, that one set in Newfoundland in the 1930's, etc...those were all really good.

Reality TV isn't all bad. There are some shining diamonds in the dirt. But I mean, after The Mole 2 ended, "Celebrity Mole" came, taking a great concept and ruining it with B, C, D, E, and F grade celebs.

Hmm...has this thread already gone off-topic? Let me bring it back on...

I think Enterprise and Voyager were both on the same level...pretty good sci-fi. I still liked DS9 and Next Gen best, although I did go throught a pretty huge Voyager phase for a while. In fact, I think DS9 and Next Gen spoiled Trek a bit...both had, in a way, wider appeal than "just" sci-fi. Voyager and Enterprise both had serious sci-fi roots, and Enterprise had to gain an audience all on its own, with no other Trek series happening when it started. A tough duty for a show lacking Patrick Stewart or Rene Auberjonois (both with non-sci-fi careers) or series faves like Colm Meaney, or sci-fi faves like Princepal Snider...I mean, Armin Shimerman.

So Enterprise really had a tough road ahead. It would have been nice to see it go to 7 seasons...if only to see the plots interplay until they match up with TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY timelines. And to demand satisfaction with Trip/T'Pol. And see Porthos get help at Cheeseeaters Annonymous.
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003