View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 04:08 AM
You just activated his Trek card

PNQ: So how does the Defiant dock?

After all, the entire "nose" of the ship is covered by the deflector array, right?

A reddit thread speculates that the station's docking ports are adaptable.

I dispute that. The station was designed to accommodate Cardassian ships (hence the pylons can arc inward because the front of Galor-class ships are narrow and three could branch out like a fidget spinner).

Some think that the orange panels can slide back to reveal a docking port.

I don't like this idea. The Defiant is only four decks (for some bizarre reason). A docking apparatus this big would be a waste of space.

There is a little circle below the deflector dish, but it's usually a torpedo launcher. Besides, it's too small to be a docking ring for a four-deck ship (why was the ship so small again?).

The LCARS puts the airlock on the upper side of the nose, above the torpedo launcher.

This would correlate with the orange panel theory, but the problem is that the station's docking port links with the deflector dish, not the orange panels.

LCARS floorplan

One corridor splits into two for the airlocks to correlate with the orange panels, but it still doesn't make sense. Even if the panels slide aside and docking corridors extend forward towards DS9, where would they dock to on the station?

A closeup of the Defiant docked at DS9 clearly shows that the docking ring touches the front edge of the ship, between the orange panels and the deflector dish. The docking port can't touch anything except the front edge of the ship.

A theory that the torpedo launcher below the deflector dish is actually a turbolift pass-through. After all, a turbolift car has its own gravity plating and could go horizontal if needed and nobody would notice. They also point out that ships having turbolift hookups is nothing new (and of course they're right, just look at the Enterprise D)

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.