View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 03:52 AM
You just activated his Trek card

HANNAH: If we increase warp power transfer by eighty percent.
LAFORGE: It's just going to blow the emitters again.

Really? They didn't replace the entire deflector dish with another one with upgraded specs after the Borg invasion? Just because the Borg are aware of one particular weak frequency doesn't mean that there weren't other possible weak frequencies that our heroes could discover.

HANNAH: It was the wish of our founders that no one had to suffer a life with disabilities.
LAFORGE: Who gave them the right to decide whether or not I should be here? Whether or not I might have something to contribute.
HANNAH: I don't know what to say.

The contributions of disabled people are a loaded issue by themselves. Let's just toss up a link to paintings by blind painters and move on.

LAFORGE: Well, the visor scans the electromagnetic spectrum between one hertz and one hundred thousand terahertz, converts it all to usable frequencies and then transmits that information directly to my brain.

One hertz is past the radio wave range. 100,000 terahertz is a bit clunky, you could just say 100 petahertz (10^17 hertz). That's in the middle of the X-ray range.

HANNAH: What about the data conversion rates? How do you avoid a sensory overload?
LAFORGE: A bank of pre-processors compresses the data stream into pulses, you see. That way, my visual cortex never--

I wish that there was a proverbial "tuner" attached to the VISOR that let's Geordi select what he sees. His standard visual range should only dip into near-infrared and near-ultraviolet, 10^-4 to 10^-7 Hz.

Presumably these pre-processors are built into the nodes in his temples. I wonder what these pre-processors are programmed to bring to his attention. Has he set it to look for the frequencies put out by different warp engine components?

LAFORGE: We should be able to send a high-energy pulse through the tractor system. If it's short enough, it shouldn't overload the emitters. The technology is right here. If we could adapt those pulse compression routines and then apply them to the warp power conduits.
HANNAH: We'd have to avoid tractor force rebounding, but that shouldn't be hard.

I think the idea is that instead of a continual beam it will stutter so the emitter isn't "on" long enough to burn out. Even so, I have no idea how the force could "rebound."

CONOR: A nursery rhyme my mother used to read to me has been running round and round my mind since this all began.
TROI: A nursery rhyme?
CONOR: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
CONOR + TROI: All the King's horses and all the King's Men, couldn't put Humpty together again.
CONOR: Why do we tell our children such ghastly stories?

Good question, why does this society even tell fairy tales?

Captain's log, supplemental. The Enterprise has moved to a parallel course with the core fragment. We must adjust its trajectory by a minimum of one point two degrees to ensure the colony's safety.

Actually, the longer you wait the more you have to adjust the trajectory. If we assume that this fragment can't get any closer than the Moon is from the Earth, the fragment is 1500 times times the diameter of the planet away.

WORF: Why shouldn't we grant them asylum?
TROI: We can't do that.
LAFORGE: We have to do that.
TROI: Do you understand what it would do to the colony?
LAFORGE: I understand these are human beings, Counsellor, with free will. If she wants to leave, she has every right to.
RIKER: And what happens to the colony if she does? If others join her?
CRUSHER: The society is genetically integrated. Suddenly there would be gaps, missing pieces.
TROI: It would destroy them.

The entire point of democracy is that the rights of the state can never override the rights of the individual. This is a whole other discussion that needed to happen akin to the Prime Directive stuff in "Pen Pals".

PICARD: If you force them to stay, you will be suppressing their human rights.
CONOR: If even a handful leave, the damage to this society will be devastating. What about the rights of those who would stay behind? They are the ones who will inherit the social chaos that will follow for generations.

Your society is THAT structured? No redundancies? No wiggle room? I call that a dead society and I have no compassion.

PICARD: If we ever needed reminding of the importance of the Prime Directive, it is now.
RIKER: The Prime Directive doesn't apply. They're human.

What? At this point the PD covers all interactions between the Federation and non-Federation worlds. It definitely DOES apply!

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.