View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]All right, I'll bite.

I started watching DS9 back when it first came out. I was an avid TNG fan by that time and DS9 had a lot of hype behind it. So I watched "Emissary" and was blown away. That's still far and away one of my favorite episodes, I continued watching DS9 through high school and my first year of college, but DS9 came on late at night and I had a flaky VCR that wouldn't tape correctly and I had a life so I wasn't always at home to catch it. So I missed parts of Season 5, almost all of Season 6, and all of Season 7. I was not able to catch up on those seasons until recently when I bought the seasons on DVD.

My favorite episodes are always changing, it seems. Actually, what's really interesting to me is that any episode I five improves my opinion of the episode. I guess in the end it's the episode that gets the last laugh... or something.

My least favorite thing about DS9 is a certain type of fan I run into from time to time. This fan thinks that DS9 is the only good Trek and all the others are worthless (with the possible exception of TOS), yet at the same time feels that DS9 is the most neglected Trek and is constantly being snubbed in favor of the other Treks. It's not those views that bother me, but it's this certain attitude that comes with it, a certain feeling of victimization that really bugs the crap out of me.

For an example of this type of attitude, make sure to read Zeke's Thoughts on the Death of DS9 Horizons.[/colorost_uid0]