View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 03:48 AM
You just activated his Trek card

You promised to stop making site-related promises, huh? That's news to me.

http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/sho...?t=1529&page=3

(Posted December 9th)

Zeke: TOMORROW.

Ooh, capital letters and everything, and you still couldn't keep the promise. When was the update? December 12th. Yes, two days overdue is extremely nitpicky. But a lie is a lie is a lie, and a promise is a promise is a promise. And nobody was holding a gun to your head to promise "tomorrow."

So all of you are saying that a webmaster can stop working on a site, walk away, and screw what the site looks like, what promises he made, or what the reader thinks. Talk about inconsiderate, monstrous behavior.

And apparently PMs don't work. You still haven't gotten back to me about the OOT 2.0 fiver. Apparently your schedule doesn't even allow for ten seconds to hit Respond, type out "My life is a mess, PM again about this in six months," and hit Send. I'd honor that request, and you know it.

Look, tell me to not complain for a month, and I'll honor the request. Tell me not to complain for a year, I'll mark it on my calendar and you can be sure I'll be honor it. But if you want a permanent solution, I can only think of the following:

1. Restore the site to normal and put up a big "the site is now essentially in archive mode. If you want to be put on a mailing list to be notified when we update, click HERE" sign.
2. Get some more staff. For Zarquon's sake, you used to have a handful of people who could update the site for you. Why didn't you replace Marc, Kira, Nan, etc. when they left?
3. Teach someone other than Derek how to use the reservation system. It was a good way to keep the fiver production process going smoothly.
4. Put someone else in charge of moderating the fiver by committee threads. We should be on our fifth comver by now, no joke.
5. It's clear that the site update procedure needs to be streamlined. Maybe some new software is in order. I'd be happy to chip in, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
6. Perhaps partnering with another site could increase our traffic. We need more exposure. Have you thought about assigning someone to start a FM.net blog over at That Guy With The Glasses? Every day they could post a preexisting fiver, and attach the site address. Divert some of that traffic our way.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.