View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Long fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
All right, another Azu fan! I've actually been making references to that anime from the start. Sata andagi is mentioned more than once, and the repeating background image is the face of Chiyo-chichi. (Speaking of whom, note Ando's introduction in How to Debate an Exploding Candidate.)

Azu wouldn't be good fiver material, but it's perfect for short comedy pieces. I love DB Sommer's vignettes, for instance. My own contribution to the Azusphere, Elegy For Chiyo-sensei, was written in a very special way -- see if you can figure it out. I'll probably stick it in Features at some point.
I have to thank my girlfriend for my exposure to Azumanga. Lovely show. (Lovely girlfriend!) And, yeah, I suppose you're right that it's pretty much unfivable, not least because it's already five minutes long as it is. It is, however, very well-suited to constant references in every other fiver universe, being as it is a heaven made of tropes (and trope deconstructions). I would not be displeased to see more of it.

I loved your story, too. It is a universe perfectly suited to a... story like that, because the insanity just blends into the general background of insanity that is everything on that show. And, no, I did not figure it out until you started explaining.

One final note:

Quote:
It's fun. And with a couple more of these, we can get together and call ourselves an institute.
Was that a reference to "Gumboots"? If so, I also recommend more Paul Simon references in future fivers.

Thanks for the links! Though you pretty much condemned me to another full reread of "Exploding Candidate," which ate into most of my lunch hour, and I hate you for that. It's good to meet another Azu fan who is a boy.