View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tlhInganHom Send a message via AIM to tlhInganHom Send a message via MSN to tlhInganHom Send a message via Yahoo to tlhInganHom

Actually in German, the verb is always in the second position, unless it's preceeded by a model (which is actually a just the subjunctive of a weak verb) or you're talking in the (Imperfekt) past tense, both of which put the verb at the end in its infinitive form. There are a couple other exceptions, I think, like würden which is really just the subjunctive of a weak verb, like the modals.

Pfftt, I hope I explained that correctly. It's so much easier to just speak it than it is to pick apart the grammar, sometimes.

Speaking of word order, Klingon is also very unique in that it always goes object-subject, i.e. object-verb-noun. (Just about every other language keeps it the other way 'round.) Klingon also eiminates quite a few words by turning most pronouns and some adjectives into sufixes and prefixes. Hence, something that could take several words to say in English (i.e. "I hit you hard.") Would be fewer in Klingon (pe'vIl qaqIp.)