Thread: April 2 (5M^_^)
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Actually, I've had a handful of similar experiences, but most of them predate this site (yep, all nine years of it). I collapsed after running for the bus once, and on another occasion I fainted on my front step after my first bike ride in a long time. The most recent collapse happened at home in Waterloo, back in '05 or so. Exertion or stress seems to be the only common element.
Those two are common enough culprits in triggering or exacerbating a number of conditions. Stress may also be a precipitant for an epileptic seizure, but that seems to be far less common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I got checked out at the hospital the last two times this happened; the bus incident was especially worrying since I fell down in the road (fortunately, the driver was doing his job and stopped well in advance). But the tests never turned up anything. This time was different in a couple of ways -- it was more severe than the others and it happened in the middle of a cafeteria line. The people around were very helpful; they called the paramedics right away and kept an eye on me till they arrived. It would have been much worse if I'd been alone, assuming I took the same damage on the way down. (The floor did a number on my back, and I chomped my tongue hard enough that it looked like I was bleeding from the mouth while I was out.)

Anyway, the doc wouldn't say for sure that it's epilepsy. Even if it is, I'm in no immediate danger. I got some tests on the day itself and I'm supposed to go back for an MRI; I'll also be seeing a neurologist. Otherwise I'm okay. Back's still sore, but getting better. And the rest of the math camp went smoothly.
Good that this turned out reasonably well (sore back and tongue being only temporary, one hopes) and that you're getting it checked out again. Perhaps this time you can get a more definite call on what it is (or isn't.)

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)