View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 PM
You just activated his Trek card

October 23rd, 1989, "The Bonding"

Another episode ruined by Gene. I refer you to SFDebris.

No Fiver
Transcript
Memory Alpha

The Episode

PICARD: What do we know about them, Data?
DATA: The Koinonians were an intelligent culture which became embroiled in a war that lasted for several generations. Our best evidence indicates they destroyed themselves.

Why wasn't the background of this mission covered in a Captain's Log? Why make Picard look stupid like this?

WESLEY: How do you get used to it? Telling them?
RIKER: You hope you never do.

A sad fact. Getting desensitized to such things is a step on the way to numerous psychological disorders.

PICARD: I've always believed that carrying children on a starship is a very questionable policy. Serving on a starship means accepting certain risks, certain dangers. Did Jeremy Aster make that choice?
TROI: Death and loss are an integral part of life everywhere. Leaving him on Earth would not have protected him.

Having families on board only makes sense if the Enterprise is going to be away from known space for years on end, which is obviously not the case. Personally I place some blame for this on Marla. After her husband died she should have refused starship duty. Aren't there long-term missions fit for an archeologist on a planet where she could still serve Starfleet?

RIKER: Do you remember how we all felt when Tasha died?
DATA: I do not sense the same feelings of absence that I associate with Lieutenant Yar, although I cannot say precisely why.

While I don't doubt Data is telling the truth, I wonder why he doesn't mention at least one story about her. As science officer he should be her boss, right?

DATA: But should not the feelings run as deep regardless of who has died?
RIKER: Maybe they should, Data. Maybe if we felt the loss of any life as keenly as we felt the death of those close to us, human history would be a lot less bloody.

This may be a bad episode, but this is still a good message.

DATA: They employ a subspace proximity detonator. A normal tricorder would never detect it.

People don't emit subspace signals. Did Koinonians carry communicators that operate on a similar subspace band as Starfleet commbadges?

TROI: A person died under your command. It may happen again. If you can't learn to release the anger and the guilt, to talk about it
WORF: A leader must stand alone. As Captain Picard does.

Where did Worf get the idea that Picard can deal with his emotions alone?

WORF: Then may I seek your counsel about my plan to make the R'uustai with the boy.
TROI: The Bonding.
WORF: It is my right.

Why was Worf in charge of this away mission anyway? Why wasn't Riker or Data down there?

TROI: Right now, there isn't much he can understand. He's holding all his feelings inside. Children often feel they must be true to the memory of a lost parent. If you offer affection to them too soon they can feel guilty returning that affection. As if they're betraying the love of the parent.

Another good message.

JEREMY: We studied about Klingons in school.
WORF: What did they teach you about us?
JEREMY: You used to be our enemies.

This doesn't seem to be a good time for this kind of message. Dredging up old prejudices for no real point...why? Furthermore, getting rid of this exchange would free up screentime for more important stuff.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.