View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 AM
You just activated his Trek card

So how come the Wayback Machine can keep track of this stuff?

To change direction...

If there was one set of homonyms that you could just snap your fingers and POOF they'd be represented by different words? Its and it's? Their and there? Heck, "bank" is a financial institution, an array of terminals, the area of land on one side of a body of water, etc.

Would it be neat or worthwhile if the tropics could get one decent snowfall a year, with the northern latitudes getting one decent hot summer day a year in return (a la The Year Without A Santa Claus)?

Would it be easier to get ten random people to agree on pizza toppings or ice cream sundaes?

Okay, this is a BIG one: how come we can't get pronounciation guides (whether print or online) that actually consists of letters and phrases that we can understand? To whit: I go to the page for Wikipedia itself and see:
"Wikipedia (IPA: /ˌwɪkɨˈpiːdiə/, /ˌwiːkiˈpiːdiə/, /ˌwɪkiˈpiːdiə/ or /ˌwiːkiˈpeɪdiə/)"
Putting aside the fact that a site shouldn't have four official pronounciations for its own name, what does "wɪkɨˈpiːdiə" sound like? I don't know. What's wrong with phonetic pronounciation guides? "wih-kee-pee-dee-ah." You can pronounce that, right? Oh, I'm sure Professor Henry Higgins knows exactly what each symbol means, but I don't have a clue.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.