Thread: Classical Music
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
You can hear it in the Kill Da Wabbit short (which is why I thought they were from the same opera) where Bugs is wearing the blonde wig and pointy breastplate, trying to woo Fudd from atop the pudgiest horse I've ever seen.
Now I really am going to have to watch that one again -- it's been too many years since the last time.

Quote:
The first suite (which I played in City Band) got recycled into something called the Hebrides Suite (which I played in high school), by some composer whose name escapes me. The first and fourth movements of the latter were definitely inspired by the Holst piece (you can hear samples here: http://www.ssyo.org/ssyo.org/PERFORMANCE_SAMPLES.htm).
By Clare Grundman, looks like. He's been writing stuff for school bands since long before I started playing in them -- I'd be surprised if you hadn't played at least one piece by him, at some time or other.

EDIT:

I was checking to see if I could find out whether Grundman was still alive. Didn't find anything conclusive, but it turns out he's also a name in crossword-puzzle circles, as evidenced by this book. Heh.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)

Last edited by mudshark; 07-13-2006 at 03:44 AM.