Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2023, 10:43 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Certifiably Ingame tackles single-nacelle ships.

Apparently in recent years these things have been made official canon. I was never a fan. I still abide by the original Roddenberry rules:

1. Nacelles must be in pairs. (I'm more okay with third nacelles than single nacelles, but I feel that the Galaxy-X class could've done it better).
2. Nacelles must have at least 50% line of sight to each other. (There's a screed to be had here about Voyager and Defiant, but that's a story for another day).
3. Nacelles have can't be blocked from the front. (You need an adequate operational angle for the Bussard collectors, after all).
4. The bridge has to be at the top center of the primary hull. (For dramatic purposes if nothing else, remember that even the battle bridge follows this logic when the ship is separated).

The rule that has been violated most often in canon is the line of sight rule. The rule that seems to be exploited most often is the bridge on the top center, which allows for different bridge modules (most often seen in the TOS movies).

Ex Astris Scientia has an entry specifically bashing the Galaxy-X class, be sure to read it.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.