View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]Also, I don't know yet which domain name registrar I'm going to use. I could use some advice from those of you who have or have had websites. What experiences have you had with registrars? Which ones have the best service and prices? Please share. (Note: I'll need one with DNS service.)[/quoteost_uid0]
I set up my simple domain (dadean.org) with namesecure.com. I interact with it using their web-based service. I've never had any complaints with them, but I've never had any praise for them either. Price-wise I think they lean a little cheaper then the average, but I'm pretty sure there are others that are cheaper still.

namesecure.com basically lets you do one of four things:
  1. Forward to another URL
  2. Forward to an IP address (what I currently do)>
  3. Put up a placeholder site
  4. Put up an under construction page
Its main drawback is that it doesn't handle email well. If you send email to anything at dadean.org, they all get forwarded to my real email address, so it doesn't allow for separate email accounts for separate people and it won't just pass them along to the server. In the case of my personal computer, that's fine, but I think the email thing would prevent me from ever using namesecure for something professional.

(And what do you mean you need one with DNS service? Don't they all provide that? Am I missing something?)[/colorost_uid0]