View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 AM
You just activated his Trek card

January 5th, 1967, "The Galileo Seven"

The Fiver (by IJD GAF)
Memory Alpha Page
Transcript

The episode:

* "Standing orders" to investigate quasars? Surely the "Murasaki effect" cited later could've been moved earlier and the line tweaked to say that when a quasar this unusual or potentially dangerous has standing orders for investigation. Ordinary quasars don't seem worthy of "standing orders' is all I'm saying.
* I don't like the use of a plague as a ticking clock. No disease affects or kills all victims on a reliable timetable. Go help the people and come back later! This quasar will wait!
* For the life of me I can't remember the last time there was a seven member away team on a shuttle. In the 24th century that would be a job for a runabout, but of course those don't exist yet. With a little plot tweaking surely one person (probably Yeoman Mears) could've been eliminated as unnecessary, but I guess "The Galileo Six" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.
* McCoy ribbing Spock now about the possibilities of command seems a little harsh. Even if it hasn't quite been established that he prefers scientific duties, it's still the first year of him being a first officer. Furthermore, you don't get to be first officer of the Enterprise without being ready to take command of the Enterprise. In any case, Bones, why don't you save the ribbing until the end of the episode when you're safe at home again, okay?
* Three people will have to be left behind, I'm skeptical but accept it for the moment. I'm dubious about the idea that this is a death sentence. They haven't encountered any hostile lifeforms yet and surely there are a few rations and a spare transmitter laying about to give to the people left behind for later rescue.
* Ugh, a funeral in the middle of a crisis situation. I get respecting your fallen comrade, but I refer you to my previous point. Come back later for his body and have a funeral THEN.
* I keep wanting to call these giants "Mugatos", but that's another episode.

The fiver:

Captain's Log: Plague, colony, medical supplies, yadda. Who cares? We've got QUASARS!

Why would Kirk care so much about this? In the episode it sounded like it was the standing orders that's keeping him here.

Ferris: With all due respect, I believe you simply like the word "quasar".
Kirk: What would give you a quazy notion like that?

Oh. I'm reminded of Hobbes saying "smock" a lot.

Ionization Effect of Murasaki 312: Yo.

Funny, but I can't help but think "T'sup" would've worked better. What can I say, I take my fiver slang seriously.

Scotty: Damnit. We just crash landed our new set; the studio's gonna kill us.

Funny, but it doesn't work. Either it's a set or a spaceship; you can't mix and match within the same sentence.

McCoy: Are you seriously considering leaving three behind? Would it be okay if I called them the "Galileo Galileo Galileo Figaro" instead of the Galileo three-left-behind? Why is your hand on my shoul-- (THUMP)

So this is a reference to "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. I've heard the song, but that's a darned obscure reference, IJD GAF.

Memory Alpha:

* Apparently the concept of a "United Federation of Planets" didn't exist yet. Shouldn't this mean that we're still using UESPA?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.

Last edited by Nate the Great; 01-06-2017 at 07:45 PM.