View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 02:14 PM
You just activated his Trek card

January 19th, 1967, "Arena"

The Fiver (by Kristina)
Memory Alpha
Transcript

The episode:

* "Tactical people" and "tactical aides." Hmm. In the movies this would mean Chekov and his staff, but I wonder who's in charge of that stuff at this point.
* MCCOY: I, for one, could use a good non-reconstituted meal.
SPOCK: Doctor, you are a sensualist.
MCCOY: You bet your pointed ears I am.
Always loved this exchange.
* I must say I don't like this business of Kirk coordinating a space battle from a planet's surface. When someone "has the conn", doesn't that mean that s/he's in command even during battle? It's situations like this that lead to the conclusion that the captain shouldn't be part of landing parties except in unusual situations.
* Some of the more hardcore Trekkies (as well as Phil Farrand in the Nitpicker's Guide) would note that the ability to replicate precious gems at will was discovered sometime between this episode and "Catspaw." In this episode diamonds are valuable, in that one they aren't.
* Mythbusters aside, I doubt that Kirk could create viable gunpowder under these conditions. At least the Mythbusters had a clean tabletop to work with and immediate access to the necessary ratios.

The fiver:

McCoy: Note to self -- stock up on nappies.
Kirk: Bones?
McCoy: With the number of Ensigns that "diaper" episode, I thought they might come in handy.

Nice pun, but I wonder how many people know that "nappies" is the British term for "diapers."

Sulu: You know, we don't even know what to call the shields yet.
Uhura: What does it matter?
Sulu: I just don't think this series is big on the consistency issue.
Uhura: I'm happy, as long as I get to wear my red dress.

I'll just be in the corner being smug. *smirk and wink*

Kirk: Yikes, it's Godzilla.
Gorn: Actually, the name is Yenrab.

Yet another character only named in the Customizable Card Game (the Mark Lenard Romulan Commander is Keras, etc.). His name is S'salk. I don't know how to feel about a Barney joke.

Captain's Log: I'm just babbling on, and that lizard is listening. There are diamonds here, though there are no women around, and several other minerals, including sulfur and potassium nitrate. How I would know is beyond my comprehension.

It's beyond mine as well. Maybe Spock would know, but Kirk? Maybe as an antique firearm aficionado he'd know the ingredient list, but not the appearance or ratios.

Metron: We'll be in touch when we're ready.
Kirk: Soon?
Metron: If a thousand years is soon to you, then yes.

Obligatory jab at Zeke's upload schedule, nothing to see here, move along...

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.