View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM
You just activated his Trek card

February 9th, 1967, "The Return of the Archons"

The Fiver (by Kira)
Memory Alpha
Transcript

The episode:

* Still trying to wrap my mind around this brainwashing rod thing. Nanites injected via a hypospray-like effect? Do the locals have latent telepathic abilities and Landru constructed these rods to augment them?
* "Landru will find us through him." Whether nanites or telepathy, if Landru can see through the eyes of everyone in The Body, that's pretty impressive.
* There had to be a way to get around this "Sulu could be absorbed via rod instantly, but the others had to be kidnapped for a slower process" thing. What if Sulu's absorption didn't take because human brains are different from the natives, and thus a larger dose was required? A few lines of technobabble could've handled this.
* Is this the first example of Kirk talking a computer to death? I think so.

The fiver:

Kirk: Oh, my head... I haven't had a hangover this bad since that wild night on Draylax.

Apparently this is a reference to Enterprise. No further comment.

I'm sorry, Kira, there's good stuff throughout the fiver, it's just that none of it was particularly exceptional for purposes of this post.

Memory Alpha:

* The article says that this is one of four "Kirk-talks-the-computer-to-death" episodes. Talking androids to death would be another list. Strange, I want to say that there were more than four, but I can't think of exactly which episodes they are.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.