Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 02:12 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Adam Savage shows off his giant Swiss Army Knife store display...

Unofficial PNQ: Why do super-wide, dozens of functions Swiss Army Knives exist?

I've handled my fair share of Swiss Army Knives of many shapes and sizes (my father was an enthusiast and taught me, I was a Boy Scout), and I've definitely noticed the law of diminishing returns apply to them. When a knife gets too big and heavy you can't use it comfortably. And what's worse, the main blade tends to be on the outside in order to make it easy to access, which is a BAD thing when the knife is too thick, the thing is off-balance when you handle it.

All I need is a large blade, small blade/awl, serrated blade/saw, flathead screwdriver/bottle cap remover, Phillip's screwdriver, can opener, scissors, toothpick and tweezers. Anything more is fluff.

Just to show my point, the 141 function/12 inch wide Swiss Army Knife. Over seven pounds. Can any of those 141 functions actually be done in an efficient and practical manner?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.