Thread: Ludicrous Speed
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I think I've done enough with Ludicrous Speed to earn my own claim on it -- till the next guy comes along.
Fascinating origin story. I like Ludicrous Speed because it's a reminder of the fact that we take for granted some truly amazing things in Star Trek, like warp drive. Plus the motif reflects the fact that every episode of Star Trek has the same damn ending...

We've come up with some great elaborations in the fivers though -- not only endings like arguing at Ludicrous Speed, nothing happens at Ludicrous Speed, etc., but my second favorite, Cliffhanger Speed, in which something bad is about to happen -- and stays about to happen long enough for the music to swell dramatically.

The new Dr Who is most egregious about this. On the other hand, TNG did cliffhangers pretty well -- I'll never forget Riker ordering Worf to fire and then getting that black screen with "To Be Continued..." Actually come to think of it TOS did well with its cliffhanger -- Kirk, weighed down with trying to understand his friend's actions, and walking out of the room at the end of "The Menagerie" -- that was the most touching moment in the episode.