Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 AM
You just activated his Trek card

When I was a kid Viewmasters (at least traditional cardboard-and-film Viewmasters) were still a thing, since VHS tapes were expensive and you likely only had one TV in the house (how did we survive those dark times? )...

Anyway, of course there were Star Trek Viewmaster reels.

I don't recall having live-action show discs, just Disney ones and maybe the odd nature scene.

This site has a summary of a few of them

I'm amazed that Viewmaster sent their own camera crew to film the slightly offset photos needed for the reels.

The writer's theory for the use of "The Omega Glory" is that it's the only one completely written by Roddenberry, thus making rights issues easier. Take this with a grain of salt, I'm more inclined to go with "it was the episode being shot when Viewmaster sent their camera crew around."

One of the reels mentions the TOS transporter range of 16,000 miles in contrast to the usual 24th-century value of 40,000 kilometers (25,000 miles). It's fair enough that the range would almost double in a hundred years.

I'm amazed that when a shot of the Enterprise bridge was used as the Exeter bridge, they covered up the dedication plaque even though it wouldn't be readable at this scale.

The guy mentions the lunacy of putting quotation marks around such things as "beaming" and "Old West" and "cage" and "Meraks".

Laugh along with me at the usage of "phased out" to describe a person that has been vaporized with a phaser.

Note the "famous Spock nerve pinch" or FSNP. I thought that this was just an injoke used by the TOS creative team. How it made its way to the script given to Viewmaster is beyond me.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.