Thread: request a fiver
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Yeah, but if you advertise 150, number 151 becomes a big deal. And so on and so forth. Besides, while Mew was coded into Red/Blue, it was completely inaccessible -- you needed inside information just to know it existed. The only way to get one (outside of cheating or very clever glitch exploitation) was to attend a Nintendo event where they were giving them out.

This is another Pokemon/Battle Network parallel, incidentally. Each game has had BattleChips which could only be obtained at special events in Japan, barring some miracle with the chip traders. The most notorious example is Darkness, the deadly Program Advance from BN2 which does 3000 damage but requires Japan-exclusive chips. (It's a combined attack by Forte/Bass and Gospel/Grave.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
What do you mean by gaiden? My understanding of the word is that it's an alternate or "another" version. For example the two 64DD add-ons to Ocarina of Time are Master Quest and Zelda Gaiden AKA Majora's Mask.
Since gaiden means "side story", I use it for any game which isn't part of the main series. For example, the main series of Mega Man Classic is the sequence of numbered games, Mega Man (1) to Mega Man 8. Games like Mega Man & Bass and Mega Man Soccer aren't in that series, so I call them gaidens. Similarly, Battle Network's main series runs from BN1 to BN6; Network Transmission for GameCube and BattleChip Challenge for GBA are gaidens.

Zelda is an interesting example, because it's unusually hard to draw the line there. Not only is the whole idea of "Zelda canon" murky, but Link is constantly having non-Hyrule adventures that seem kinda like gaidens but are definitely in the main series. Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask are perfect examples.

Hejira... no, I can't add anything to that. Wow.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 08-07-2006 at 01:59 AM.