View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Marc"]In both "The Best of Both Worlds" and in "First Contact," the Borg send a [iost_uid0]single[/iost_uid0] cube against Earth, and they have it travel for hours (or days) towards Earth using conventional warp propulsion, thus giving plenty of time for Starfleet to spot it and to assemble a fleet to oppose it. Â Both these errors could be forgiven in "The Best of Both Worlds," but by the second time around in "First Contact" the Borg should have learned better.[/quoteost_uid0]
By the second time around, the Borg (as evidenced by the existence of the Queen) had assimilated bureaucracy. And so they're going to adapt on the large scale much, much, much slower now. :smile:

[quoteost_uid0]As for this habit of cruising towards Earth in a leisurely way that lets Starfleet know they are coming, why wouldn't the Borg instead use the subspace conduits we've seen them employ elsewhere? Â If they had appeared out of nowhere, without warning, right on Earth's doorstep, the element of surprise could easily have let them carry the day.[/quoteost_uid0]
[iost_uid0]Might've-beens are irrelevant. Strategies are irrelevant. We are Borg. We have the same mental capacities as the Doomsday Machine from TOS. If we calculate that a tactic falls within an acceptable probability-of-success margin, we carry that tactic out. We do not stop to worry or think of improvements or engage in other silly recursive thought processes that characterize humans and so many other non-Borg species.[/iost_uid0]

Or that's what I think the "problem" is, anyway.

[quoteost_uid0]Furthermore, why did the Borg wait so long after "The Best of Both Worlds" to take another crack at Earth, rather than hitting it again right away before Starfleet had had a chance to rebuild? Â Why did they likewise seemingly give up after "First Contact"?[/quoteost_uid0]
[iost_uid0]Look, we've still got thousands of planets to assimilate, okay? You're way over in your part of the galaxy, we're over here, and let's be honest, you aren't NEAR as special as you think you are. You're just a bunch of species who happen to number slightly above average among organizations. We could crush you tomorrow, just as soon as Cube 3728 comes back from the cleaners, but why should we? Why should we bother to cross all that space just to wipe you out when we could crush five other organizations for the same amounts of time and energy? We'll get you eventually. No need to be so impatient.[/iost_uid0]

[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs