View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

I imagine it depends on how well-designed they are. Some games, the complications all matter at some point. Other games, you just focus on one or two winning strategies.

Then there's power creep over time, like in Kingdom of Loathing, where there may be thousands of items but only a few dozen currently have any relevance for the serious power gamers. A new item gets introduced and there are a dozen forum posts debating, among other things, whether it saves 0.7 of a turn compared with a similar item from a year ago, and under what circumstances.

It's really a question of a learning curve. You just learn a little more the more you play, until you know the relevant details inside and out. Then it doesn't seem so complicated.

Quote:
I used to play Yu-gi-oh, another insanely complicated game that has entire pages of errata for most cards.
Hah, that just sounds badly constructed. Maybe you mean exceptions or something rather than errata?

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs