Thread: Sigh...
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

Yeah, yeah. Alanis happened. Get over it. :P

A country which feels insecure will choose a leader which is believed to be capable of enforcing order. There's a reason why Napoleon, for example, had such a cult of personality after the revolution: he instituted order. Doesn't mean he was that great a leader, but hey, when faced with anarchy, law and order has a big appeal. I'm not comparing Bush to Napoleon, so don't bite off my head.

From election results it can be assumed that a significant portion of the population of America was feeling insecure. Ergo, Bush wins. However, it is also worth noting that there was a significant number of votes going to the Green Party. Of course, given the political system in the States, these votes didn't really go anywhere, but it does demonstrate that there are in fact more "liberal" voters than "conservative," they just don't know how to vote defensively. Take that however you will.

Quote:
I'd say "Come to Canada," but frankly, I think we have too many liberals already, especially with all these new ones we're getting from the States.
Peh. Canadians have been majority Liberal since Pearson. And we were originally settled for largely economic reasons by the British, not by Puritans looking for the promised land. There's a difference in founding ethic at work. Also: ouch. I'm going to let that slide, though, because you're from a minority. :twisted: (Yes, that was mean. I feel guilty already.)

Anyhow, this is just one in a number of northern waves of immigration. And given the way our country is set up, we require constant immigration to keep the workforce renewed because of the low birthrate and long life expectancy (also known as the "lots of old people" effect). This is biased toward independent workers more than family reunification. To the economics geeks in the PMO, so long as potential Canadians 1.) can work, 2.) are not criminal, and 3.) don't skip taxes, it's all good. A willingness to pay thousands in fees and spends years trying toget citizenship is required by default. It's been like that ever since the first immigration boom, and the PMO geeks are no way going to discourage it.

On a unity note: cheer up, oh ye unhappy voters, there's always that one group you can focus your ire on without shame: the section of eligible voters who didn't vote out of sheer apathy. I think we can all agree those people suck.

Ooh. It's way too late for me to be talking about this stuff. Bleah. I'll just delete this tomorrow or something when my fatigue hangover wears off.