View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:52 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default The End of the 5MV Forums - ....on ikonBoard, that is

Yes, you read that correctly. This is the END of the 5MV Forums. On the ikonBoard system.

Some of you will recall the site going down for a while last December. This was the result of our server being used to hack other servers. Our ikonBoard was the entry point -- the version we were using had a nice big security hole, easily exploited. We got it patched, but apparently there are others. More to the point, ikonBoard is no longer being updated or patched -- the developers have abandoned it for other systems. (That part I didn't find out till the server move in April.)

Charles, the Trek Nation's tech guy, has been urging me to change to a new forum system since he found out we were still using an iB. I haven't done it yet since I haven't really had time and it's a fair amount of work, but the glitches (such as our registration problem) are really getting annoying, and Charles has basically made it clear to me he won't continue fixing them. So it's time to get things moving.

The first thing I need is feedback from you guys. In your browsing, what forum systems have you been the happiest with? (If you don't know the name of a system, just link me to the board in question.) What features do you consider the most important? I want to hear from as many of you as possible about this, because it's your community I have to uproot and plant someplace else. (It's your metaphor I have to mix, too.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction