View Single Post
Old 10-31-2022, 02:02 AM
You just activated his Trek card

SCOTT: I remember a time when the old Enterprise was spiralling in toward Psi two thousand.
LAFORGE: Thank you.
SCOTT: The Captain wanted to try a cold start of the warp engines. I told him that without a proper phase lock it would take at least thirty minutes You canna change the laws of physics, I told him, but he wouldn't believe me, so I had to come up with a new engine start-up routine.

"The Naked Time", of course. There are a few novels that reference this thirty-minute requirement and Scotty's upgrade of the process.

LAFORGE: We recomposite the crystals while they're still inside the articulation frame.

Didn't Scotty do this in The Voyage Home? Many novels point to that as the start of the recrystallization tech used on the E-D.

SCOTT: How long will it really take?
LAFORGE: An hour.
SCOTT: You didn't tell him how long it would really take, did you?
LAFORGE: Of course I did.

The Search For Spock establishes that the average Scotty multiplication factor is four.

DATA: I believe I may be of some assistance. Captain Scott is unaware of the existence of synthehol.
SCOTT: Synthehol?
DATA: Yes, sir. It is an alcohol substitute now being served aboard starships. It simulates the appearance, taste and smell of alcohol, but the intoxicating affects can be easily dismissed.

Gene dictated that the Ferengi invented synthehol, yet it appears in Discovery before offical first contact was made with them.

DATA: No, sir. I am an android. Lieutenant Commander Data.
SCOTT: Synthetic Scotch, synthetic commanders.

Scotty isn't surprised, he ran into many androids in TOS. Memory Alpha lists four episodes in particular ("What Are Little Girls Made Of", "Requiem For Methuselah", "I, Mudd", "Return to Tomorrow.")

SCOTT: What is it?
DATA: It is (looks at bottle) It is (sniffs contents) It is green.

"By Any Other Name" reference aside, you'd think Data would be programmed to at least identify the major categories of booze (wine, ale, sake, beer, etc). Even if Guinan has every bottle memorized, wouldn't she still want these things properly labeled so waiters like Ben can ID them as needed?

Guinan appears in the novel and is much more supportive of Scotty. I hope he met Dax at one point, as well.

COMPUTER: Please enter programme.
SCOTT: The android at the bar said you could show me my old ship. Let me see it.

Oh, boy. Scotty and holodecks. The rec room in TAS immediately comes to mind. In any case I think Data should've accompanied Scotty to show him how to work it.

SCOTT: The Enterprise. Show me the Bridge of the Enterprise, you chattering piece of
COMPUTER: There have been five Federation ships with that name. Please specify by registry number.
SCOTT: NCC One Seven Oh One. No bloody A, B, C, or D.
COMPUTER: Programme complete. Enter when ready.

Like I've said elsewhere, the computer shouldn't have assumed "Federation ship." In any case Scotty should've provided a specific date, the TOS bridge had at least "The Cage", TOS, TAS, and film versions.

PICARD: Constitution class.
SCOTT: Aye. You're familiar with them?
PICARD: There's one in the Fleet museum, but then of course, this is your Enterprise.

The novel "Crossover" will establish the one in the fleet museum as the USS Yorktown, only with the TOS Bridge module that was removed in the refit. Scotty steals it and hooks his shuttle into it, creating an even more advanced version of the automation system that he invented in Search for Spock.

PICARD: The first ship I ever served aboard as Captain was called the Stargazer. It was an overworked, underpowered vessel, always on the verge of flying apart at the seams. In every measurable sense, my Enterprise is far superior. But there are times when I would give almost anything to command the Stargazer again.

I find it disappointing that Picard would resent the Stargazer not having tech from twenty years in the future. He's supposed to be an archeologist, and that seems like anti-scientist thinking.

SCOTT: When I was here, I could tell you the speed that we were traveling by the feel of the deckplates.

I hope he means at impulse speeds. Inertial dampeners should be able to stop such things at warp speed.

PICARD: Seventy five years is a long time. If you would care to study some technical schematics or
SCOTT: I'm not eighteen. I can't start out like a raw cadet.

The novels establish that he does in fact get up to date to work with the Corps of Engineers.

DATA: Commander, I believe I have found something on the sphere which could be a communications device. There's an antenna array approximately four hundred thousand kilometres south of our present position. It is emitting low intensity subspace signals.
RIKER: Can you open a channel?
DATA: No, sir, not from our present orbit. The array is currently directed away from us.

Does neutronium block subspace signals? That seems farfetched.

LAFORGE: If this ship were operational I bet she'd run circles around the Enterprise at impulse speeds.

I find this claim dubious.

PICARD: Very well. Mister Data, begin a scan of the interior surface for life forms. I want to know who brought us in here and why.
DATA: Aye, sir.

In the novel they meet the natives, sort of. It's a long story.

LAFORGE: The tank can't withstand that kind of pressure.
SCOTT: Where'd you get that idea?
LAFORGE: What do you mean, where did I get that idea? It's in the impulse engine specifications.
SCOTT: Regulation forty two slash fifteen, pressure variances on IRC tank storage?
LAFORGE: Yeah.
SCOTT: Forget it. I wrote it. A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper. Just bypass the secondary cut-off valve and boost the flow. It'll work.

Geordi has this kind of stuff memorized? And we're supposed to believe that genetic modification isn't being used? And seriously, where is the 47 cameo?

DATA: The interior surface area is over ten to the sixteenth square kilometres.

More like 13 times 10 to the sixteenth square kilometers. Do the math!

(outside the main sphere hatch, and looking at short range scan 0407.7)

Not just a 47 reference, but a MASH reference.

LAFORGE: You can't be serious. That hatch is huge. It'll crush this ship like an egg.
SCOTT: Geordi, the shields will hold. Don't worry about that. I can get a few extra gigawatts out of these babies.
LAFORGE: Scotty, it's crazy.
SCOTT: Geordi. I have spent my whole life trying to figure out crazy ways of doing things. I'm telling you, as one engineer to another, I can do this.

You have to admit, by TOS standards this engineering feat is rather pedestrian.

LAFORGE: I've lost helm control. La Forge to Enterprise. Captain, we're not going to be able to move this ship out of the way when you get here. You're going to have to destroy it in order to escape.

Given the size of the doors, I find that claim dubious. Now is not the time to stick to the rules of the road!

LAFORGE: So, this alien space baby, which was about the size of a four story building, really thought the Enterprise was its mother.
SCOTT: You're pulling an old man's leg.
LAFORGE: No, really. It was suckling power directly from the ship's fusion reactors, so Doctor Brahms and I changed the power frequency from twenty one centimetres to point oh two centimetres.
SCOTT: You soured the milk.
LAFORGE: That's right.

I'm trying to think of another TNG event that has TOS-worthy levels of engineering ludicrousness. "Booby Trap" is the first example I can think of.

SCOTT: You're giving me one of your shuttles?
PICARD: Well, call it an extended loan.

This is the Goddard (last seen in "The Next Phase"), although the novelization calls it the Christopher in honor of the guy from "Tomorrow is Yesterday." The novel Crossover reveals that he renamed it the Romaine after his love from "The Lights of Zetar". She eventually married Scotty's friend Morgan Bateson, ouch.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.