View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Um.
Well, put it like this. Trek novels in general are not exactly quality literature. They're enjoyable light reads at the best, at worst, they really really suck. A whole lot of 'em really really suck. Furthermore, as I get farther and farther from the age of 15, I notice the flaws more and more.
But, for light reads, Peter David is a pretty good author. He's definitely one of the best Trek writers (and his Q-Squared is one of the few Trek books I actually do heartily recommend). He's got good writing style, keeps you interested, keeps everything fun and fast.
In New Frontier, he's done a nice job creating the novel equivalent of a new Trek series. Full crew of characters, all fleshed out very nicely. Typical space opera relationship goings-on (and Peter David often uses fairly gratitious romance and/or sex to hold attention - can anybody say Pon Farr? Peter can!), and a lot of story arcs that continue through the series. It's got its ups and downs - Peter David uses some cheap tricks to create interest and suspense at times, and that's never a fun thing to notice. You also pretty much need to read them in order, and in clumps, because you've actually got an ongoing story here that you need to follow, and each major 'chapter' is split up into a few books.

If you enjoy Trek books... then for Trek books, they're definitely good ones. If you're looking for a light read... or a series of light reads... New Frontier can definitely be a lot of fun sometimes. If you're looking for a really good book... neh.
Let me put it like this. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who serially purchases every single Trek book, at no cost to me, and is happy to let me borrow them. I haven't made much use of this priviledge in the past two years, because my interest in the Trek books has lessened and I've had much better stuff to read, and also because I'm not home to borrow stuff very often. But hopping over and borrowing the more recent New Frontier books is vaguely on my to-do list... eventually... because I would like to read them.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis