The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

National News Post Month (with "Nu" standing for News; I guess the U is so that it sounds right). As in, every day this month he will post something in the News section.

Nate, do you have a site of your own? Not a page on someone else's site, or contributing to an existing wiki, but your very own, started from scratch, chose a name, bought a domain, completely Nate's content website? Because you have very clear ideas about The Right Way and The Wrong Way for this site to be run, so why don't you put those ideas into practice on a site of your own? Then you can show Zeke, and everyone else, how it's done.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I for one would be delighted to see you launch such an endeavor.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:43 AM
You just activated his Trek card

No, I do not own my own domain. I had a page on the h2g2 site, and I contribute to TvTropes, but never my own site.

How it's done? You mean, setting aside a certain amount of time every week to be devoted to adding material to a site? Actually keeping promises regarding updates and NOT making them when I know I won't be able to keep them? Refusing to start a multi-day event without setting aside the time to actually HAVE it?

I fully realize that I sound like one of those childless people with lots of opinions about childrearing, but sometimes a person CAN pick up the basics without direct experience. It's the same here.

If I had the skills to update the site, I'd have asked for Marc or Kira's job years ago, but I don't. Nor is it likely.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

You can run a site very easily on WordPress. Absolutely zero programming skills required; it's one of their selling points. Free themes (that means designs) galore.

I'm actually not being sarcastic. I think launching and maintaining your own site would be a great thing for you.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:08 AM
You just activated his Trek card

About what? Another five-minute sister site? Unlikely. A personal blog? Too much personal information, and who'd be interested? I've tried bouts of writing my own short stories, both of the original and fanfiction variety, but it doesn't work. I don't have the drawing skills to make a webcomic. I don't have a camera adequate for a video review series.

In the end the only thing I've considered seriously is doing my own fan DVD commentaries. I don't suppose any of you would like to partner with me through Skype or whatever and launch such a site?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

November 9

(see thread)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

November 10

Today's link... let's say 8 Bit Horse. It's a nifty site dedicated to 2D gaming, from the NES days to modern examples like the Mega Man ZX games.

And that's ten! You know, I bet some people doubted I could do a whole month of daily updates. But who's laughing now? Here we are on November 10, and I'm making my tenth update of NaNuPoMo right on schedule.

...What?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

November 11

In honour of Remembrance Day, I have two things to link today. The first is a serious post I made back in '08 for the occasion, which I don't think I've linked here yet. Second, on the lighter side, I recently discovered the comics of Angus McLeod on deviantArt. His most popular to date are "Simple Versions" of various wars -- sort of like the historical fivers we've sometimes seen at the forums. McLeod did World War II first, then World War I, and then the Cold War. Each one's better than the last.

Tags
nanupomo, novels are like tribbles, tv tropes