The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 04:01 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Why not? We could turn Ivanova and Delenn into swimsuit models.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't go there.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-24-2003, 04:03 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh, we can have as many of those models as we want.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Wait, let me get my professional-standard digicam ready first.. :nyeh:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-24-2003, 06:46 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]What was the first play that you watched? I think you missed the name.[/quoteost_uid0]

'twas "Much Ado About Nothing"... again, a wonderful theater. When we drove in, people in Shakespearean dress popped out from behind rocks and signs and guided us to our parking place... The theater itself was this cool thing that stretched out forwards - that is, the audience watched from three sides - and they made good use of the stairs, beams and other surroundings. (The watchmen had this long scene where they kept popping up and down from holes in the floor...)
The adaptation (they always adapt the comedies! [iost_uid0]why do they ALWAYS adapt the comedies?[/iost_uid0]) was to the Sicilian Mafia.. which I guess kind of makes sense, but most importantly (for me) doesn't get in the way of the actual play. (When I watched "Twelfth Night," they adapted it into a disco. The concept of a "Duke of Disco" was rather disturbing, and speaking Elizibithean English while boogying down just overdoes the dissonance thing...)[/colorost_uid0]

--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Because comedies are the perfect reciepients for the touch of whimsy that always goes along with adaptations, I suppose...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Or because the idea of trying to top [iost_uid0]West Side Story[/iost_uid0] freaks them out...[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 09-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Thankyou cat, for asking a question in my absence, and for the record, anyone who wants to can ask one (i guess i should have mentioned that from the start)

I would go to asutralia because i've always wanted to go there. i did a report on it in eighth grade and just thought it sounded like a cool place.

new question:

What Cartoons did you watch when you were a Kid? (or if you are still a kid what do you watch now)

the biggies for me are the Jetsons and the Flintstones ( i think everyone should know those, but i could be wrong)
I think the one i miss the most though is Tail Spin. (i cant even clealy remember what it was about now but i know it was my fav.) and Rescue Rangers (it stared Chip and Dale, disneys famous chipmunks)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Transformers and He-Man, obviously.

Plus a bunch of English-made cartoons that nobody in North America has ever heard of, which I watch in Australia 1987-1989.

Most of them can be found at www.80snostalgia.com[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-25-2003, 08:28 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The only ones I can clearly remember having watched are Inspector Gadget and Rhubarb and Custard. Which still has the greatest intro music of all time for any cartoon ever, if you ask me.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh, boy... once I start bringing them up, they just start flowing...

Smurfs stands out as actually being memorable, if only because of marketing. Similarly, an Israeli cartoon called "Zarbuvim" about these underwater creatures with snorkels on there heads. Then there was "Knights of the Magic Light" (Name translated from Hebrew, though I assume it was american originally - about good and evil knights, who could turn into animals that were on their breastplates...), and Video Force (all in Hebrew... the one with all the video game characters? The tomato, and the basketball player, and the bad guy was called Mr. Bigg? name, somebody?)... there was also the "Wizard of Oz" TV cartoon (originally Israeli; based on the original book and its sequels). A bit later on there were also the good Disney cartoons - Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, and Rescue Rangers - and the X-Men cartoon (not the one they're showing now - the older one, based on the actual plotlines from the original comics).

That's enough for the moment. I know I'm going to be popping more up all night. You just made me remember Denver the Last Dinosaur! Hmmm...[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0][iost_uid0]Bullwinkle
Tennessee Tuxedo
Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies[/iost_uid0] (pre-PC & cutesy)
[iost_uid0]Speed Racer
Super Chicken[/iost_uid0]

There must have been others, but I can't think of them now. Senility, must be.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Mysterious Cities of Gold
Sun Beneath the Sea (theme song in a minor key - rare for cartoons)
Ulysses 31 (didn't find out the title until recently)
Those last two were a lot more cheesy than I recall.

Pommy things like Count Duckula, Family Ness, Jimbo, Thomas the Tank Engine (not a cartoon, but it had no live actors and *no* Shining Time Frickin' Station), Raggy Dolls, Super Ted and Telebugs. most of those were five-minute things between longer shows.

Plus American shows like the Ewoks, Voltron (both of them), various Hanna-Barbara offerings, Flinstones (most of which I didn't get because it was aimed at adults in the 60s), and one or two episodes of Thundercats. Oh, and a water-based once where they went through a special airlock to change from air breathers to water breathers and back again.

[quoteost_uid0]here was also the "Wizard of Oz" TV cartoon (originally Israeli; based on the original book and its sequels).[/quoteost_uid0]

I remember watching episodes of the Wizard of Oz before going to school. Did it have Tick-Tock in it? I remember one episode with giant tiger-like monsters crawling across a log over a chasm...and little else.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Standback"]Similarly, an Israeli cartoon called "Zarbuvim" about these underwater creatures with snorkels on there heads.[/quoteost_uid0]
I think I remember what you're talking about. I think they were possibly called "Snerks" or "Snerkels" or something similar here in America.

I remember watching the Smurfs, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Flintstones, even a bit of Count Duckula...lots of others...

"Tale Spin" was about Baloo the Bear flying a seaplane around with a child sidekick and a girlfriend. Or something like that. [imgost_uid0]http://3sygma.com/fiveminute/forums/html/non-cgi/emoticons/eek5.gif[/imgost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 09-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I think I remember what you're talking about. I think they were possibly called "Snerks" or "Snerkels" or something similar here in America.[/quoteost_uid0]
The Snorkels? I watched it too.
As well as the Smurfen, Barba Papa, Tom & Jerry, Tweety & Sylvester, Duck Tales, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny... Sometimes The Flinstones.

I hated The Rescue Rangers, mainly because I had never watched it and my brothers did... And I didn't understand the title.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:59 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]He-Man, The Transformers, and lots of stuff I can't remember. For non-cartoon stuff I watched Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact, The Electric Company.

And oh yes, I loved Button Moon. "We're going to Button Moon..." [/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-26-2003, 05:01 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"]"Tale Spin" was about Baloo the Bear flying a seaplane around with a child sidekick and a girlfriend. Or something like that.[/quoteost_uid0]

Yeah, thatÂ’s the one. Only it wasnÂ’t his girlfriend, it was his boss, but he had a crush on her. and in this one episode they tried to run a pizza delivery servies by cooking the pizzas on the plane while they were flying but the...

Uncle owen: Shut up
Katy Jane: Shutting up, sir.

its all coming back to me now. i miss that show, of course if i saw it now i would probably think it was stupid.

How could i forget about looney toons! that use to be a Saturday morning tradition with my older brother (i think watching them with his kid sister was the only excuse he could think of being that he was in high school) that and WWF wrestling, of course thatÂ’s not a cartoon. Â but it is sort of like a cartoon. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 09-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Yeah, thatÂ’s the one. Only it wasnÂ’t his girlfriend, it was his boss, but he had a crush on her.[/quoteost_uid0]

The series used characters from The Jungle Book, only they were wearing clothes and using advanced technology.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-27-2003, 05:40 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Today's [bost_uid0]Question of the Day[/bost_uid0] is:

What is your favorite time of year and why?[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

Old 09-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That would have to be somewhere between spring and summer, because winter is too cold, summer too hot, it gives me headaches, and fall is too rainy. Spring is just perfect. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:15 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Spring to Early Summer, after the Pine Pollen is gone[/colorost_uid0]