The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

So get a Gamecube then?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:28 AM
You just activated his Trek card

I would, but it's still a sizable investment. That's why I started this thread in the first place, I needed to keep myself occupied considering the options, since I couldn't act anytime soon anyway.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 AM

Ah. It just seemed to me that you'd already made up your mind.

Well, I STILL like playstation best. Not that it matters.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Which Playstation? There are threeish, right?

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 AM

I have Playstation 2, which is fine for me because I'm not a super-video-game-freak. But sure, I'd love a PS3, assuming it does everything the Playstation 2 does, and more.

Personally I think Playstation was better first (if that made sense) because they used CD-like discs first, and because the Playstation 2 could still play the Playstation 1 games.
It has Kingdom Hearts, as well. Though I was disappointed with Kingdom Hearts 2's ending.
In a brief, off-topic interlude, has anyone here ever played Alundra 2?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Who needs new Gamecube games? I want OLD Gamecube games. Master Quest, Melee, Pokemon Colloseum, Megaman Anniversary Collection, and so on.
You know, if you get a Wii, you can play new AND old Gamecube games. Not to mention Wii games.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

You know what's the hard part of getting a Wii? Getting a Wii. I finally have the money this month, but everybody's sold out.

I find it very satisfying that they have plenty of PS3s.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Yes, I made friends with the electronics guy at Target and he tipped me off as to when a new shipment was coming in.

And getting Wii Play wasn't the easiest thing ever either.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 PM

Of course there are plenty of PS3s. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if the thing can do my taxes, six hundred is TOO MUCH. For that money I could get a Gamecube, a Revolution, and three games for each. Come on!

But the Revolution can't use a Gameboy Player either, can it? And I don't think that there are any Gameboy games on Virtual Console, either, are there?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Wii cannot hook to a Gameboy player, no. There is talk however of gameboy games on virtual console. Or perhaps a virtual console equivalent on DS. Or, and this is purely speculation on my part, a gameboy player 2.0 that would work on Wii. The system is still new, and I'd be surprised if there weren't some newfangled way to play GB games on your tv before the 8th generation.

Or, as I said earlier, you could get a DS and have access to both the DS and GBA libraries. The DS is really the strongest system out there right now -- handhelds or consoles -- and it's really worth a look at this point if you're even remotely interested in video games, IMO.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:36 AM

If you think my anti-Revolution prejudice is strong, DON'T get me started on DSs not being backward compatable. DON'T. I'll even say it again, DON'T. They could've charged ten bucks more, kept the old Z85 processor to allow for Gameboy backwards compatibility, called it Gameboy DS, and sold umpteen million more copies. I'm not joking. Besides, Nintendo themselves say that DS is the "third pillar" of Nintendo. It's not a Gameboy, it wasn't supposed to be.

Heck, if they had made Gameboy DS, you could work the wireless connection to turn it into a universal Gameboy Player for Revolution. The DS blanks out, and there's your game on the screen.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Nate, forgive me, but you simply expect way too much from Nintendo. At this rate, you will never be satisfied. And of course, the industry left you (and from what I can tell from my general perusings of video game-centric forums, only you) behind long ago.

The DS allows you to play DS games and GBA games. That's twice as many libraries it draws from as the Gamecube. Also, you really shouldn't think of the DS as lacking these older titles -- the fact that they included GBA support at all is simply a matter of convenience. Nintendo decided the system needed some sort of expansion slot for devices (rumble packs, extra memory, whatever). Since one of the system's processor's was already the same as the GBA's, they decided it would be easiest (and a BONUS -- get that? BONUS -- for its customers) if said expansion slot was a GBA slot. So what if it doesn't play older games? It's nice enough that you can play GBA games.

The Wii allows you to play Wii games, GC games, N64 games, SNES games, NES games, Sega Genesis games, and TurboGraphix games. With the possibility of more systems supported after an upgrade of the firmware. Nobody else even remotely approaches that kind of catalog. Is it really such a shame you can't play a few generations worth of portable titles right now?

You really don't have any idea how successful the DS is, do you? It's pretty much the most popular handheld ever. And well on its way toward usurping the most popular console ever, the PS2. Nobody gives a damn about the lack of support for GameBoy or GameBoy Color games -- really, there aren't too many legendary titles from either generation. You can live without 'em -- or make do by buying a GBC used for 10 bucks. Or less.

You're never going to find the perfect system with your attitude. Because there is no perfect system. Because God forbid, the name sucks. Or because it doesn't offer the full libraries of every game system ever. Or because it asks you the tiniest inconvenience of using a damn wrist strap while playing. Or because it has the gall to cost more than two hundred dollars.

There's really no point in me saying any of these things, because you (a) don't seem to be getting the system any time in the remote future, (b) have already made up your mind anyway, and (c) have a severely anachronistic bias against the company's newer entries when virtually every other gaming community I've taken a gander at has grown more fond of them, not less.

Gah.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 AM

Apparently I do expect too much, if stuff like "proper beta testing" and "asking the customers what they want" is too much.

"Nice enough?" That's settling. I choose not to settle when that much time and money is involved. That's where quality comes from, people not settling.

Since when does popularity=quality? Never saw that written down as a requirement. Anywhere.

"You're never going to find the perfect system with your attitude. Because there is no perfect system."
But there are better systems and worse systems.
"Because God forbid, the name sucks."
So even you admit it!
"Or because it doesn't offer the full libraries of every game system ever."
Fine. Small defeat conceded.
"Or because it asks you the tiniest inconvenience of using a damn wrist strap while playing."
I refer you to the "it's not a perfect world, and people don't have perfect memories" arguement from earlier.
"Or because it has the gall to cost more than two hundred dollars."
I want what I pay for, and PS3s don't give me that, in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

The finger Nintendo has placed on the public's pulse is doing some damn impressive tactile perception. Asking the public what they want? Are you sure you don't mean asking you what you want? Wii and DS are both EXTREMELY popular right now. What's to complain about?

In terms of proper beta testing, why don't you do a comparison to Microsoft's X "Our system freezes permanently" Boxes. Or Sony's Play "Whoops, our power cords melt" Stations. Everybody screws up. Everybody fixes their screw-ups. What's to complain about?

Finally, I was referring to the Wii, not the PS3 in terms of "costing more than two hundred dollars". Anybody mad that the final system cost $250 is (1) not paying attention to the competition, and (2) not paying attention to the history of launch prices.

Finally finally, the nobody cares about whether or not the name sucks anymore. And for the record, the name "Revolution" sucks.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:36 AM

Did I express any disapproval about the $250? I have ZERO arguement on that score. It's cheaper than the alternatives and comes with a darn good game. I've played Wii Sports.

"Nobody cares"? I care. I'm not nobody. Say "it's not going to change" and you're absolutely right. Say "you're obsessing about something that on the whole isn't that important" and you're absolutely right. Say "You're a bloody loony, Nate," and you're absolutely right. I deny none of these things. But I'm not nobody, and please don't claim otherwise.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
3. They refused to add DVD capability, charge fifty bucks more, and sell umpteen million more systems.
I apologise, but when the percentage of people who care is based on an exceedingly small dividend and an exceedingly large divisor, I round down.

Also, the point I forgot to touch on -- I'm not just talking about popularity here. I'm talking about popularity amongst those already fanatics. Wii and DS have done plenty to extend the market toward people who never really played games before. But they're also hella popular amongst gamers in general and Nintendo fanboys in particular. Now, that might not have any relevance to quality in your book. But by saying that, you effectively make quality a subjective phenomenon, and I'm forced to question whether you're secretly a Battlefield: Earth geek.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 03-31-2007, 03:42 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Ok it’s probably best if we steer clear of the controversial topics of computer game consoles and stick to something less inflammatory like euthanasia/abortion/Iraqi war.

It was rather funny, walking though the town today. Giant signs in the windows of Woolworths, Game, Gamestation and the like saying 'Yes! We Have PS3'S!'
Not so long ago the signs read 'No! We're out of WII's!'
There really does seem to be a bit of a backlash towards Sony and the PS. Whats is it with that? I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but I do have a old playstation and may get a ps2 - whatever you think of it, it's got a fair few amazing games... I just don't think Sony try as hard as Nintendo. What ever you think of Nintendo...you must admit, they have some talent. The amazing string of popular games they create. Pokemon, Mario, Advanced Wars, StarFox, Metroid... Who else can claim that?
But I don't really wanna see the PS3 outta the market, it's just after seeing the Playstation slap my beloved N64 around for about 4 years straight (and then the poor Gamecube - rest in peace my little buddy), it'll be nice to see sony on the backfoot for a change.
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Burt; 03-31-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 AM

Yeah, dialing it down would be a good idea. Might I suggest returning to my more lighthearted threads about Trek singers and mindless computer games?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Ok it’s probably best if we steer clear of the controversial topics of computer game consoles and stick to something less inflammatory like euthanasia/abortion/Iraqi war.

It was rather funny, walking though the town today. Giant signs in the windows of Woolworths, Game, Gamestation and the like saying 'Yes! We Have PS3'S!'
Not so long ago the signs read 'No! We're out of WII's!'
There really does seem to be a bit of a backlash towards Sony and the PS. Whats is it with that? I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but I do have a old playstation and may get a ps2 - whatever you think of it, it's got a fair few amazing games... I just don't think Sony try as hard as Nintendo. What ever you think of Nintendo...you must admit, they have some talent. The amazing string of popular games they create. Pokemon, Mario, Advanced Wars, StarFox, Metroid... Who else can claim that?
But I don't really wanna see the PS3 outta the market, it's just after seeing the Playstation slap my beloved N64 around for about 4 years straight (and then the poor Gamecube - rest in peace my little buddy), it'll be nice to see sony on the backfoot for a change.
Basically?

They stopped pretending they cared, and just admitted that they were effectively out to grub as much of your money as possible.

That, and the price is ridiculous-outrageous...
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM

They want to "grub" our money? Does that mean eat it or are we digging in frozen dirt for worms?

Closed Thread