The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Updates

Hi

Is Zeke still alive? I've looked around the forums and can't find anything other than there was an update planned in may sometime. Does anyone know whether there's likely to be updates or if Zeke has given up on the site. I'm hoping he hasn't as before this break i'd been reading FMV for a few years, but if it's not then at least i can stop checking back all the time.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

We don't know. He occasionally posts something in his LiveJournal, and even more occasionally he posts here, but otherwise...

It's not dead, we hope.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 AM
You just activated his Trek card

You registered on the boards just to complain? Sheesh.

Be glad I deleted the full treatise I wrote about why people shouldn't poke at this issue with sticks all the time. I'll just ask again. Please don't poke at this issue with sticks all the time. Rechannel your energy into becoming independently wealthy so you can pay the staff to update.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Nate, when we're at the stage where long-time lurkers are registering on the boards in the hope of finding out whether the site is really dead or not due to the lack of... anything, for the last half a year, then I don't think 'don't poke it with a stick' really works any more.

There's an elephant in the room, people! A freaking elephant! And it's a dead one, at that!

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 PM

PHJ, I've earned the wrath of the Big Z before (very VERY deservedly) and I can tell you: You wouldn't like it. I'd rather not have anyone have to go through it.

That being said, you are free to harass Zeke all you like. We can always use a scapegoat for when he blows his top. We can write on your tombstone: "PointyHairedJedi: It's his fault FiveMinute.net died."

Of course, we can have stuff happen around here without regular updates. How about my audiofiver project, for example? Nudge nudge.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

I'm not dead, nor is 5M.net. And I don't wrack myself with guilt over online stuff anymore, but I admit that I've been hiding out. In the last month or so I haven't even been reading the forums -- too afraid that when I finally did, I would find a bunch of "screw this, I'm leaving" posts.

I intend to get the site moving again. My reason for not doing so, at least lately, is that I need to be working on my Master's thesis. That's absolutely true, but the days when the site was a distraction from work are long past. I'm fighting the same inertia when I try to work on anything, online or off. It's just so much easier to queue up some more anime or play some more games. So for once, updating the site may actually help me with school work, as it's the same mental muscles I need to start using again.

At any rate, I'm on IM more these days for reasons soon to be chronicled in my LJ. Even that was starting to feel like work, so it's a start. But if you want updates, then first and foremost, pray/wish for me to finish the thesis. That's by far my highest priority right now, and time is running out.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 11-30-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 PM

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a complaint, i just wasn't sure if i'd missed something saying what was going on. I completely understand that you just haven't got round to it and i'm happy to just keep checking every so often. It just would just have been pointless to do that if there had been a message saying that there would be no more updates. Thanks for the quick response though.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Don't worry, I wasn't asking for an apology. In your place, I would probably have posted a thread like this months ago.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 PM

Well, we always appreciate honesty. Good to see you again.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
PHJ, I've earned the wrath of the Big Z before (very VERY deservedly) and I can tell you: You wouldn't like it. I'd rather not have anyone have to go through it.
I have called him Zekey-buns, and lived to tell of it. I'm not sure there's anything that tops that.

Zeke, I do understand, I really do. It's just that the stench of the elephant corpse was starting to get to me a little, which I'm sure you equally understand. It is something to know, though, that the idea of this place is still alive, and that we aren't just flies buzzing around said elephant corpse (I'm belabouring this analogy somewhat, I know). It makes a difference, and I'm very glad to hear it.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Long fellow

I've been that fly at dead sites, PHJ. It's very, very sad. The analogy is perfectly accurate.

Actually, whatever your name is... DCTrekkie, thanks for asking. We got an answer, which is pretty spankin', as Kim Possible would say.

Zeke, when I found the same thing happening with my modding--I wasn't coding because there were so many good flash games to play (Desktop Tower Defense... wow, what a great game)--I ended up just reserving Thursday afternoons, when I was stuck in the university library basement for four hours--for modding. It's worked terrifically, and it's surprising what you can get done in three hours of dedicated work.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Well, I still prefer "The Big Z," if only because then I can ask rhetorically "Has the Big Z finally flipped?" every once in awhile. I try not to overuse the gag, because I don't like getting slapped. Not fun. It's still meant as a term of affection. Whether it tops "Zekey-buns" or not is another question best left for the PNQ thread, if anyone cares to post it.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Surely if you have enough pie you can call him anything
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

I would amend that to 'enough pie and a good pair of running shoes'.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM

that could be a problem, we trekkies aren't exactly known for our running ability.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
but I admit that I've been hiding out. In the last month or so I haven't even been reading the forums -- too afraid that when I finally did, I would find a bunch of "screw this, I'm leaving" posts.
I can understand -- I'm horrible at that sort of thing. Not that I have a site, per se, but I do it in regard to email or ongoing projects or whatever. Finally I just have to bear down on myself and face the proverbial music (or inbox, or whatever). I've been lucky enough that it's always been elevator music so far. (Not that I LIKE elevator music, per se, but it sure beats being met with, like, death metal or something.)

Quote:
But if you want updates, then first and foremost, pray/wish for me to finish the thesis. That's by far my highest priority right now, and time is running out.
Rightly so. Best wishes on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
I've been that fly at dead sites, PHJ. It's very, very sad.
Me too. And indeed it is.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 PM

Well, I hope that you never reach that point, Z. After all, I have little doubt that even if you didn't appear for five years, you could come back and ijdgaf, PHJ, Wowbagger and I would STILL be squabbling about clear vs. colorless, Betty vs. Veronica, or some equally inane topic. We're fivies. That's what we do.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Long fellow

Hey, a fiver I haven't read! There are references to be learned! Score!

...I think I just made Nate's point for him. <_<
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 AM

You mean you hadn't read all of my fivers? Shame on you!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Dude, after seven years, this site is huge. I'm not sure I've read all of my own fivers.

(Nate could have linked to a number of others, btw. "It's what I do" is what he does these days.)