The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 06-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

@Gatac - I wasn't necessarily thinking of space battles per se, but ships would be good nonetheless, allowing for different things to develop kinda stuff.......anyhoo, why not slugfests? They don't have to be that often, and what if someone decides they want to use the KPD*?

*Kirk's Prime Directive
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

::cough:: Join theCrazy Horse to Role play on my ship. ::cough::

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

There will be ships, but I'm more role- than wargamer. I'd probably do that on a complete different scale, though, especially capital-grade weaponry...but because I know that there will be times when orbital bombardment will be an option, that will have to be looked into. I mean, I do have rules for Weapons of Mass Destruction lying around...

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatac
There will be ships, but I'm more role- than wargamer. I'd probably do that on a complete different scale, though, especially capital-grade weaponry...but because I know that there will be times when orbital bombardment will be an option, that will have to be looked into. I mean, I do have rules for Weapons of Mass Destruction lying around...

Gatac
Woo! And are the ships going to have positive names? Cuz myself, I find too many ships with names like USS Charity begin to feel a bit.....twee.....
Can they be named them things like....USS Tantalus?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Man in the iron mask

We'll see. I'm not averse to mythology. (Come to think of it, USS Durandal might work.)

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 06-16-2005, 03:58 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
::cough:: Join theCrazy Horse to Role play on my ship. ::cough::
We would, but the problem (the one I had for example) is we might not find time to do the logs, which will lead to problems

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Hey! I'm In!

If you want to do it in the Fora or on the PHP/JS Chat both will work fine for me, and I do plan to have multiple channels on the PHP/JS Chat, so again, not a problem either way.

I will read the rules when I have time, but so far I don't know enough of these systems to give an opinion.

I have taken math beyond calculus, so don't have to worry about any math requirements.

Also, I could even program calculator pages, informational pages, interactive pages, game pages, or whatnot to help the game out too!

In addition, I'm good at writing backstory, story, alien languages, statustics, rules, etc.

Sounds fun!

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:04 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroc
If you want to do it in the Fora --
Nuh-uh. Not these Fora, anyway. No offense, but we have few enough new members as it is -- we don't need an in-forum RPG to scare people off.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

That must've been what killed my eZboard, then.

Durandal...I know that name... *checks Fire Emblem cart* Oh yeah, Eliwood's sword. As long as we're going for swords then, how about "Aegis"?

Mmmmm...can there be magic?

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Man in the iron mask

Uh, sure, the systems support it. Spycraft has normal D&D magic (slight rule changes, but portable), psionics, mystical rites and rituals, chemical enhancements, animal hybrids and titans, which take a bit longer to explain, and the SW system allows you to do much anything, so yeah, I guess magic wouldn't be an obstacle. I'd just like to know what specifically you want to do with it.

Aegis sounds good. We should have a vote on that and the system.

Don't worry about the fora, I've got an EzBoard squirreled away for such things.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 06-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

I'd prefer either forum or e-mail, My schedule is too random for me to beable to be in the chat at any given time on any given day.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

Since I've never been in an rpg and don't really know what it involves, all the preceding posts confused the hell out of me. But once you decide stuff, tell me where it is and what i have to do and if i can figure out what you're talking about, I'll join.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
We'll see. I'm not averse to mythology. (Come to think of it, USS Durandal might work.)

Gatac
Actually, I was thinking more giving the ships somewhat sadistic names.....hence Tantalus.......
Old 06-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Man in the iron mask

Eh. I don't go for overly doom-inspiring names. Durandal was one of the crazy AIs in the Marathon games, so I think it's nasty enough.

Do I hear objections to Spycraft? I can throw in a few explanations of the major mechanical differences to standard d20 if you want.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Eh. I don't go for overly doom-inspiring names. Durandal was one of the crazy AIs in the Marathon games, so I think it's nasty enough.

Do I hear objections to Spycraft? I can throw in a few explanations of the major mechanical differences to standard d20 if you want.

Gatac
Could you give a layman's explanation too?
Also, how many ships, if ships there be, should be in the fleet? say, 5 max or something?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Man in the iron mask

http://www.spycraftrpg.com/rpg/spycraft_lite.zip

This is an introductionary ruleset. It's a good overview of several aspects of the system, but rest assured that there's - of course - much more to work with than this little tidbit contains.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 06-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Man in the iron mask

Okay, *very* basic d20 system explanation:

Basically, your character has an overall level, depending on how many Experience Points he/she has gained. This is a gauge of overall power level, and goes - regularly - from level 1 to 20. You can gain levels beyond that (that's called "epic"), but I have serious doubts that we'll get to that, so just forget that for now.

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky is on his first tour of duty. Being a starting character, he begins play as a Level 1 character. Captain Richardson, however, has seen his share of action. He's already Level 10. An "iconic" character such as, say, Captain Kirk, would probably land at Level 15 or higher.

First, you determine the race/department of your character. This grants a bunch of boni and penalties. There's some advanced options here, but for the most part this isn't rocket science.

Your character's most basic statistics are his ability scores. You have Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Charisma and Intelligence. Those can go as low as 1 and have no "hard" upper limit, but 10 is generally considered "human average". A character with 18 in one score is in the top human percentile, and anything beyond that can be considered "heroic" or "superhuman". Your ability scores don't generally change much.

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky is a bit shy, but he's very smart. His Charisma is only 8; below average. His Intelligence, on the other hand, is 17, near the top of the normal human spectrum.

Then there's skills. There's literally tons of skills; this are things you can improve with training and such, knowledge about various topics...This is stuff like Jump, First Aid, Sleight of Hand. You get more skill points through levelling up. Your level determines how many points you can spend on a skill. Also, your skills are keyed to one ability score, and gain boni (or penalties) from that ability.

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky has maxed out his Demolitions skill at 4 points for his 1st level. If he gains enough experience to advance to Level 2, he could invest another point in Demolitions. Since Demolitions is keyed to Intelligence, Ricky gains a bonus from his ability score: +3. Thus, he has a total skill bonus of +7 for Demolitions at first level, and +8 at second.

Feats are more specific tricks and techniques that set you apart from the common populace; they improve skills in special ways, allow new skill uses, or in some cases completely different abilities. For example, every character can try to throw a punch, but they'll have an easier time at it with the Martial Arts feat. You gain a feat at 1st level, 3rd level, and every 3rd thereafter. Feats often have prerequisites to meet.

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky gets to Level 3. He gets a new feat choice and chooses Explosive Basics, which requires 5 ranks of Demolitions (which Ricky has). On the other hand, he can't choose The Look, which requires an ability score of 13 for Charisma.

There are various derived values. You have Defense (how hard you are to hit), Initiative (when you act during combat), your Base Attack Bonus (how accurate you can attack), plus the three saving rolls: Fortitude (used to withstand abuse of all kinds - harsh environment, poison, etc...), Reflex (used to evade several kinds of dangers, like explosions or traps) and Willpower (your ability to withstand your urges, or to resist mental effects).

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky just isn't lucky today. His Initiative comes up too low, so he goes last in a combat. A surly Klingons tosses a stun grenade his way. Ricky attempts a Reflex save, but fails - he doesn't manage to jump away from the grenade before it goes off. The explosion forces him to make a Fortitude save to resist the stun grenade's effect. Ricky finally catches a break and makes the save. His ears are ringing, but he's still on his feet.

You gain levels in certain classes. This determines how many skill points you get, and grants boni to various derived values. Your class determines to a large degree what kind of archetype your character is...for example, a character with levels in Soldier will be much more combat-focussed than a Snoop. (This does not necessarily mean that he's better at it, but that's a matter of build tweaking.) Classes also grant specific abilities; for the most part, imagine them working like feats. (In fact, some grant specific bonus feats.)

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky has had enough of being knocked around in every damn away mission, so he chooses Soldier as his class for the 4th level. While he doesn't get a lot of skill points from it, his derived values - particularly his Fortitude save and base attack bonus - are improved.

The basic challenge mechanic is to take a d20, roll it, then add a bonus (or penalty) depending on your character's stats. This result is then compared to a number call Difficulty Class (DC). If you meet or get over the DC, your roll is a success; if you don't, it's a failure. Again, there's a few details to this, but almost all of the rolls work like that.

EXAMPLE: Ensign Ricky, feeling a bit uppity on his fourth level, tries to phaser a surly Klingon. (Where do they all come from, anyway?) The Klingon has a Defense of 20 - pretty good. Ricky's phaser attack has (all boni considered) a total attack bonus of +7. Ricky rolls a 14 on his d20, then adds his attack bonus for a total of 21. He beats the Klingon's defense - barely. It's pretty much a lucky hit, but hey, who's counting? The phaser beam hits the Klingon in the chest.

That should help you feel not quite as lost in the PDF. If you have questions, ask away.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 06-20-2005, 06:59 PM

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:24 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

That actually sort of made sense.

Sorta.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Man in the iron mask

The basic d20 mechanics make sense; it's when they try to actually do anything with them that they mess it up, usually.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes