The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
You just activated his Trek card

First of all, I'd like to point out that phrase "concept toy," emphasizing "concept" as "not final." For another thing, an action figure will not have the same internal structure as a Transformer.

Well, maybe I did get dimensions wrong, but I stand by my original Persistant Niggling Question. To my eye it looks like additional solid mass was obtained during the transformation process.

Oh, and here's another PNQ (let's just save space, shall we): How many other people noticed the transformation from real car to the CG car right before transformation? I could. I was quite tickled by that. No matter how much these studios trump about the superiority of CG, when in fact it's not.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Well, maybe I did get dimensions wrong, but I stand by my original Persistant Niggling Question. To my eye it looks like additional solid mass was obtained during the transformation process.
I watched the same transformation process you did, and my hyperactive sense of "That Violates The Laws Of Physics" didn't twig. Maybe I should watch it again with a more critical eye.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Hey, you should hear my rant about Pokemon technology. One of my cyberpenpals was quite tickled that I would watch an enjoyable cartoon and still go "that technology is totally bogus."

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
Hey, you should hear my rant about Pokemon technology. One of my cyberpenpals was quite tickled that I would watch an enjoyable cartoon and still go "that technology is totally bogus."
That is totally bogus.

Pokemon is not an enjoyable cartoon. :P
Old 10-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Oooooooooohhhhhhh.....

Anime is one of my "I'm getting angry, you won't like me when I'm angry" buttons. Especially the first two I ever saw, Pokemon and Digimon. They are sacred, you'd be best to move along.

Now some brand-new PNQ:

What's up with the edge lettering on the new Presidential Dollars? Won't those words get worn away in no time?

Even at only 0.25c, wouldn't full impulse create some nasty time dialation effects for starships? I'd imagine that they still function on some equivalent of Greenich Standard Time. For that matter, what about when the Enterprise goes to a planet where a day is the equivalent of 13 or 37 hours? Wouldn't matching itineraries become agonizing relatively quickly?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
Why are men's and women's bicycles still in different structural styles? I doubt that there are that many women who bike in skirts anymore, and a straight bicycle bar really is stronger structurally, so what's up?
As an (Evil) Dutch Woman, I feel I should respond to this.

Women do, actually, still wear skirts sometimes. Even women like me.
More importantly, it's not necessary. Sure, it might be stronger, but it never breaks either way. At least, not until every other inch of the bike has broken down at least thrice. You're getting a new bike LONG before that ever comes close to looking like it's not in top condition.
Also, I happen to think women's bikes are easier to get on, but that might just be me being used to it.
Then there's the point that, if you borrow a bike from someone, and it's slightly too big for you, it's easier to bike on it if it's a women's bike. Less painful, too, if ever you need to stop suddenly.

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

^ With this, I very much agree. At the moment I can't dismount a mountain bike without half falling over at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtFielding View Post
Why does everyone think I'm crazy when I say global warming can cause an Ice Age?
I don't. If the Gulf Stream goes, where I live is going to get very cold very quickly.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants

Last edited by PointyHairedJedi; 10-28-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 PM

How come the name "Mississippi" got attached to the northern branch instead of what we call the Missouri River? Surely convention would dictate that the same name be used for whichever path is the longest, right?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

I imagine it's because, for it to be the Missouri River, it's making an awfully sharp turn at the point where it meets the not-Mississippi River, and anyone looking at a map would ask "Why isn't that part of the not-Mississippi River? That would be so much more natural."

Besides which, Missouri has several pro sports teams, the Arch, the Ozarks, the Missouri River . . . it even has me. Mississippi has the Mississippi River aaaaand . . . um, well.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 10-28-2007, 12:34 AM

What's the international allure of the name Wii anyway? After all, the reference only works for the small minority of the world's population that's fluent in English.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:26 AM

Am I the last person to know that you can hold Control and scroll up and down with a mouse's scroll wheel to change the font size in certain web pages? (the handle from my mug was holding it down without me knowing about it)

Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

It doesn't change the font size, it zooms in and out. It works in MS Word too, and a few other programs, which I can't remember.

Last edited by AKAArzosah; 10-31-2007 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Because I could...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM

No it doesn't. Look, I go to the Star Trek page on Wikipedia. The first paragraph starts with "Star Trek is an American science fiction entertainment series and media franchise. The Star Trek fictional universe created by Gene Roddenberry is the setting of six television series including the original 1966 Star Trek..."

As originally loaded (on my screen, 1028X768), the first line break is after the second "Star Trek." One click up holding Control puts it after "fictional", another puts it after "created by." One click down holding Control puts it after "series and," another puts it after "science fiction." The picture of Kirk and Spock always stays the same size, so only the size of the text is changing, changing the number of words in the lines in the process.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Infinitely prolonged

Fascinating.
I have repeated Nate's experiment using both Firefox and Internet Explorer. In IE, the page zooms in and out, but in Firefox, just the text size changes. (A few other things change size as well, but the point is that the pictures remain the same).
Also, with Internet Explorer, scrolling up zooms in and down scrolls out. It's the opposite with Firefox.

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>
Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 AM

Thank you.

Oh, I suppose I forgot to mention that I'm using MSN Explorer for all of this. Perhaps that accounts for part of it.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

You poor, poor thing. Opera has a similar feature for expanding images and text (whilst distorting the rest of the page about them), but I never use it intentionally, only accidentally when I'm trying to use the scroll wheel to cycle through the tabs.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM

Oh come on, what's so wrong with MSN Explorer (besides the occasional problem with the windows accidentally closing whenever an error occurs)? I'd use Internet Explorer, but A. all my favorites are on my MSN account and B. since I have to use MSN to sign on anyway, might as well use it for browsing.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi View Post
^ With this, I very much agree. At the moment I can't dismount a mountain bike without half falling over at the same time.
Of course, you fall over no matter what bike you're trying to get on of off, but that's hardly the point, is it?

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Am I the only person in the forums who knows what a juicy lucy is without looking it up?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Surfin' you say?

*Looks up juicy lucy*