The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]...well, since no one else has posted about either of the two episodes that were on, I figured I'd start up a thread on one of the two episodes. Why not both in the same thread? Well, partly because we've treated each episode in its own thread before so there's no reason to change now, and partly because my stupid UPN had such crappy reception that I missed significant portions of "Bounty".

That said, on to "First Flight".

I liked this episode. It was nice to see some of the history of the Warp 5 program. It was nice to see some of the history between Archer and Tucker. It was nice to meet Archer's friend and rival Robinson, and I think he was well introduced to us.

I like the impression I got that Archer is a bigwig around the area because of his father. It's interesting to see all the talk about his father since that really hasn't been touched on too much since the pilot. I bet that everyone there knew without a doubt who he was and I can just sense the way people treated him like he was Henry Archer's son, not Jonathan Archer. Almost makes you wonder if he got captaincy based on that, but I guess not since they went with Robinson over him in "First Flight".

- That feel of early experimental space flight. It's like watching [iost_uid0]Apollo 13[/iost_uid0]. This is the type of episode that should be shown if you want to arouse interest in our space program.
- Seeing younger Cmdr Archer and Lt Tucker.
- The hatred of Vulcans. On Enterprise it's not so obvious all the time since the crew has gotten over their dislike of T'Pol, but this episode reaffirmed it.
- The test ship. It just looked neat.

dislikes:
- Robinson's line about "taking a Vulcan along with you", while presumably supposed to be clever, just fell flat for me.

indifferent:
- the dark matter subplot. I realize it makes it more believable for Archer to be talking to T'Pol if they're forced to be in the same place for a while, but I couldn't care less if they're looking for dark matter or cheese for chili, I mean, Porthos. Speaking of which, where is the little guy?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I agree, the episode was very well done.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-15-2003, 04:08 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Can you both like an episode and think it was dumb? I enjoyed "First Flight" enough, but it felt so much like been there, done that. The theme was borrowed from "Broken Bow," the framing technique from "Carbon Creek"; news of a loved one's death early in the episode was done as recently as "Horizon." And how many damn times are we going to see a Starfleet officer steal a ship to prove some sort of point (and succeed without any lasting consequences)?

[quoteost_uid0]I mean, Porthos. Speaking of which, where is the little guy?[/quoteost_uid0]

Oh, that. Don't worry about the dog. Also, don't eat the chili.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-15-2003, 05:24 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I didn't very much like this episode. Was very boring to me, and I found myself looking at the clock wondering how much longer till I could sleep. I did enjoy Trip in this epsiode though. He had some nice humorous lines. And if you didn't notice this before, go back and rewatch, but when Archer and the other guy are fighting in the bar. Trip grabs the beer off the table before they knock it over. I nearly fell off my bed thinking that he was saving the beer. :P

Anyways, I found myself thinking throughout the whole episode, Wasn't this the same exact thing that happend with the warp 5 engine? No originality.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]And how many damn times are we going to see a Starfleet officer steal a ship to prove some sort of point (and succeed without any lasting consequences)?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, but don't you see? This episode set the precedent for those other times. It's [iost_uid0]because[/iost_uid0] Archer and Robinson weren't punished here that no other Starfleet officer will get punished for doing virtually the same thing. See? This episode [iost_uid0]serves[/iost_uid0] continuity; it doesn't break it. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm inclined to agree with Derek.

"Captain, I know stealing the shuttle was wrong, but I refer you to the case of Starfleet vs. Robinson and Archer as precedent for acquital."

As for the rest of the episode, I wasn't very impressed. Archer was being his usual dumb self (perhaps even more than usual), and I thought the episode was predictable and unoriginal. Aside from that, some of the positives for me were Trip and T'Pol, the cool effect of the Nebula (and Archer's reaction to it) and... well, that's pretty much it. I'm watching my tape of "Bounty" right now and trying to refrain from rolling my eyes too much, so hopefully "The Expanse" this week will be an improvement from this double header.[/colorost_uid0]