The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2006, 03:26 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default Forum remodelling

So, as you've noticed, I finally got around to modding this forum. Here are the new features:
  • Member titles are back
  • Topics can now have descriptions
  • You can now save posts as drafts (you can see and edit your drafts on a new page which also shows your recent posts)
  • Members can supply their birthdays; the forum splash page gives seven days' warning of an upcoming birthday
  • Country flags are back
  • The board keeps track of how many topics you've started and can search for them from your profile
  • When replying to a PM, the one you're replying to is shown below
  • Usernames are now profile links when viewing a thread
  • The memberlist shows when a member last posted (but doesn't let you sort that category, which was what I wanted... I'll work on it)
  • At the bottom of each topic is a search box that searches within the topic
  • When viewing a forum, clicking on the number of posts in a thread gives you a popup listing the users who have posted in it and how many times each
  • Finally, a mod making it easier for me to edit the FAQ, which I intend to do so as to make it less generic
How did I do all these so fast? Well... remember when I said I wasn't going to use EasyMod this time? I changed my mind. It's much less work this way (but still some -- I have to edit the instructions manually to resolve conflicts between mods), and I think I have a better understanding of how phpBBs work now. Besides, even in the worst case scenario of everything getting fouled up again, I now know how easy it is to clean the database and reinstall the forum software without losing any of our posts.

Anyway, those are the mods. You'll notice one other change if you look closely at your profile: I've made a clone of subSilver called subFiver, now selected by default. This is where I'm going to rebuild the 5M.net skin. It may not be soon (I'm thinking of getting someone with actual experience to help), but it's coming.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction