The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 04-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Out of curiousity, what did everyone think of this one?

I liked the Phlox plot a lot, but the rock climbing didn't do much for me. I think a lot of it had to do with how dark it was. My UPN seems to have a color imbalance that the other stations don't have and so that made seeing and figuring out what was going on just that much harder. I might have appreciated it more if it wasn't just white lights shining in a black area.

However the Phlox plot was pretty good. I saw a lot of parallels between it and aspects of racial tensions in America. I've heard people talking before about how much blame white people should feel for the past treatment of American Indians and blacks, but I have never liked that idea much. I guess it boils down to the issue of responsibility. Should the sins of the father be visited upon the children? Even to the third and fourth generations? And how much penance is enough for atonement?

Alright, now that I said that piece, other things of interest in the episode:
- A [iost_uid0]tribble[/iost_uid0]? That's just cool. And did he feed it to a glommer?
- I think if someone were refusing my help, I'd eventually get to a point and just say "So be it" and let it go. I understand Trip's position a lot more than I do Archer's, because after all the effort and pain he went through to get to the Denobulans would seem a waste if they didn't come back with him.
- I liked the ending with Phlox recording a message to his estranged son.
- Next week Enterprise trailer was hilarious to me for some reason. Especially Phlox's "I have pictures" line.
- We didn't see the governor. I wonder why not. Any special effect they were trying for or was it just to save hiring an actor.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-24-2003, 02:43 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I liked the episode for the most part. The Tribble scene was great. I was hoping for a Tribble subplot, but that was not the case. Poor Tribble

There was something bugging me about the guy that Phlox refused to treat. He seemed familiar. Is he the same guy (the actor, not the character) that Tuvok mind melded on Voyager and changed his hostile ways, then saved the ship from Seska and her gang? Im just wondering.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-24-2003, 09:13 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I was under the impression that the glommer was genetically engineered (or at least enhanced).

Still, nice thought![/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I thought this one was pretty good. Certainly we got a major dose of Phlox, and that's a good thing.

I agree about the rock-climbling scenes: it could have been covered in a shorter span of time, but the darkness of it all seems to be a recurring thing on ENT (think back to [iost_uid0]Fight or Flight[/iost_uid0] and [iost_uid0]Strange New World.[/iost_uid0] (I also recall reading a comment from RDM that at the end of scheduled shooting, the ep was about 4 min. short of the usual runtime, and addtional footage needed to be shot. Perhaps they added some more cliff-climbing stuff.)

Regarding the American Indians/blacks thought, maybe something older and more vicious and ingrained, like Turks/Armenians or the various Slavic groups in what used to be Yugoslavia -- something that's had several centuries to ferment and distill.

Can't say about the glommer. All I could see were the leaves sticking out of the cage.

On the Governor: didn't notice, was there a voice credit? Sounded like it could have been Hertzler.

[bost_uid0]Neo:[/bost_uid0] No, different actor. This was Henry Stram. Lon Suder in VOY was played by Brad Dourif, whom you may also have seen in [iost_uid0]LotR:TTT[/iost_uid0] as Wormtongue.

Other comment: Anyone else spot Starfleet's favorite destination, Vasquez Rocks?[/colorost_uid0]