The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 11-04-2004, 05:27 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default November 3

Okay, election event wrapup. First of all, we all now know who won the real election. Does this result agree with our various series' preferences? Let's see....

Voting Totals From Lists #49 - 61

Bush: 51
Kerry: 45
Nader: 10
Green Party: 2
Others: 30
Aragorn: Still not King

So it seems Bush would have won here too, which is interesting because most of the list-writers were for Kerry. On the other hand, an informal poll going on at the forums currently stands at Bush 12, Kerry 20, others 5. (For a total of 37 votes... geez, polls at way lamer forums get thousands of votes. Maybe I should start advertising or something.)

Oh, speaking of traffic, it's been awesome this week: we had over 600 hits on Monday and nearly as many yesterday. Keep it up!

Back to the election event. So far several people have found the Easter egg... if you want to know a couple of cheap ways to find it, visit yesterday's comment thread. For those who are man enough to search the traditional way, I'll narrow it down a bit for you: the egg isn't in any of the Trek lists. And the egg isn't the only part of yesterday's update you may not have seen. For those who haven't noticed, a while ago I started doing unique disclaimers for the Top 10 lists, like I do for TJI -- so check those out if you didn't before.

Finally, as promised, here are a few election-related links.
    [*]Those of you who are disappointed about Bush's victory may be tempted to get angry at those in the "red states," particularly the South. Well, Lea Frost of 5MS just linked to a fascinating picture in her LJ. This is how red and blue the states really are -- hopefully you'll find it reassuring.[*]Second link for disappointed Democrats: LiveJournal is not where I go when I look for intelligent political commentary. However, occasionally I'm proven wrong. Jennifer-Oksana, someone I've mentioned here before as an Angel commentator, made this post-election post which -- unlike almost all others I've seen -- isn't "Oh God Bush won what will we do WAAAAAAAA I'm shooting myself". It's "Okay, we lost -- so here's what we do now." Jenny-O may help you get a little optimism back, and as any Denobulan can tell you, optimism is charming.[*]This one's more for conservatives: The Corner is National Review Online's very active group blog. Their writers post about what's up in politics, and naturally this week there's more up than usual. You're sure to find some interesting stuff here. Watch out in particular for Jonah Goldberg, a very smart conservative commentator whose column, The G-File, I read religiously.[*]Finally, a couple of purely humourous links. SomethingAwful posted this back in the Cheney/Edwards debates, and it's hilarious. And while this link is DEFINITELY not work-safe, Votergasm is the funniest election site I've seen yet... not to mention a really intriguing concept. You may be sorry you missed out.[/list]

Acknowledgements time. First off, thanks to all the list writers -- you guys rocked the house, from experienced staffers to untrained greenhorns. Thanks also to Xeroc for showing me the CSS code for hiding the Easter egg, saving me the trouble of looking it up. Thank you to whatever floating muse, or maybe vampiric alien, gave me the idea for this event just in time. Thank you to America for having a way more interesting election than the ones we have up North. And not so much a thank you as a thumbs-up to all our American readers who voted yesterday. You did your duty -- and earned the right to complain about the government as much as you want for the next four years.

Till next event, I'm Zeke, and I approve this message.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Woo! I voted! I get to complain.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

At this juncture I will rant and rave --

[ADMIN EDIT: No you won't. Do that in one of the political threads in Misc -- this thread's for talking about the update. I've PMed you the contents of this post. - Z]
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Still not up to Level 18

Send a message via MSN to Marill Send a message via Yahoo to Marill

lol, best rant ever

(awaits the bashing 8) )
Old 11-05-2004, 04:41 AM
You fived my battleship!

Yes! I found the Egg! I rule! I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T...

McCoy: Dammit Jim I'm a Doctor, not a... oh sure!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:13 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

ARG! CAN'T! FIND! EASTER EGG! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Woot, great event Z, and great serenity and compassion for us crunchy granola loser types (as opposed to Andrew Card basically going "Ha! In yo face!" while things were still up in the air, for chrissakes).

At least we still have Martin Sheen. :? But lo! Term limits foist Bartlet out of office soon, and the producers of West Wing say they may replace him with a Republican! After that I guess I'll have to get my TV politics from Jessica Simpson or something...

Anyway the multiple top-ten-list thing is mondo cool (and easier to corral than a multiple fiver thing, I'll bet). There's already the Executive Producer thing as a multiple TJI event. So nominations for the next big multiple event, people? Maybe a multiple Topic Title event (kidding, just kidding)...