The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 09-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf
Default How about a little Star Trek: Season One?

While I suppose the demand for this (here at least) isn't going to be as high as for the other season sets that have come out, as a buyer, it's my obligation to start the damn thread anyway.

I ordered mine on Amazon yesterday. Should arrive sometime over the weekend
Old 09-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

I will not be getting these since I already sunk a nice chunk of change into all 40 2-episode discs. Fortunately, the special features don't look like they're so nice that I'm regretting getting them.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

I'd like to get it at some point, but there are about fifty bazillion things that are on the list before it, so I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Yeah, gotta save up for the Star Wars Trilogy and ROTK:EE.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

I'll be getting Star Wars. As for RotK, i've already got my copy. The EEs just don't impress me much (though the extras do. good thing i have friends to borrow from).

However, Star Trek has me pumped. It's been a *long* time since Star Trek had me this excited. It's like discovering one's favorite series for the second time.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:45 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf
However, Star Trek has me pumped. It's been a *long* time since Star Trek had me this excited. It's like discovering one's favorite series for the second time.
I'm looking forward to when I have that experience with Voyager. It's always fun to rediscover a series... I'm doing that now with seaQuest, which Space picked up and has been airing on Saturdays. I never missed an episode as a kid.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 09-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

Season 1 was okay in my opinion, but the series didn`t strike me as anything except occasionally fun to watch until "Operation: Annihilate", the season finale. That was by far the best episode of the first season... tense, emotional, compelling. Then Amok Time aired and I fell in love with the series completely. Season 2 rocks, and I really liked season 3, too. ("Spock`s Brain" notwithstanding... though it wasn`t *that* bad :mrgreen

As for the DVD sets, I don`t plan to get them now, since I have almost all episodes recorded on video and the Curse of the Freezing DVDs is floating above me for years. But one day... of course. :mrgreen:

(though I hear a new digital media format, far far superior to DVDs, will emerge in a few years...)

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 09-09-2004, 02:47 AM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

I saw these and I wanted to buy them because the case was cool. But I want my Voyager DVD's so can't do it. Oh well.

BTW Nic, once again I've ended your attempt to dominate. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Season One is the BEST the series has!

Balance of Terror, The Corbomite Maneuver, City on the Edge of Forever, Tomorrow is Yesterday, Court Martial....

I'm sure I'm missing some other great ones too.

I may or may not buy the other series eventually, but this is a MUST BUY for me right now.

As for the new format, I'm not too worried. DVD is in, and I don't see its reign as being too short. Other stuff may come out, but DVD will be the preferred medium for probably another ten years or so. IMO, anyway.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Just thought I'd update now that I've watched a few episodes.

Packaging: Super Awesome

Picture Quality: JAW ON FLOOR

Episode Quality: Ya'll should know how I feel there

All in all, worth every penny.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Special Features?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

I haven't gotten to 'em yet. That's disc eight, and I've only viewed the first one.

It's awesome to see 30+ year old TV trailers for your favorite episodes though

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Okay, so I've seen the special features now.

They were interesting, and I actually did learn a few things I didn't know before (though I'm sure plenty of fans out there did).

I suppose there could have been more to the discs, but what we got was nice.

And whatever you've heard about the William Shatner Horse documentary is true. It's the most obscure, irrelevant thing I've ever seen. I was prepared to accept it as an "oh, actors have lives beyond Star Trek" deal, but instead got a crash course in horse breeds, moves, and potential olympic competition between horses. It was harder to understand than the worst Star Trek technobabble.

I haven't viewed the text commentaries yet, but I'm honestly not that interested in those. I would have much preferred vocal commentaries with people who worked on the show. :::shrugs:::

Of the actors interviewed, Nimoy is by far the most insightful. This I was not expecting, but it was a pleasant surprise.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf
I haven't viewed the text commentaries yet, but I'm honestly not that interested in those. I would have much preferred vocal commentaries with people who worked on the show. :::shrugs:::
I loved the text commentary on the TMP:DE DVD. It was insightful, informative, and nerdy all at the same time. It is partly for the text commentary that I purchased the other TOS SE DVDs even though I owned the original versions.

However, none of the later ones lived up to the first one. Oh well.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Just saw in the paper today that Season Two is set to come out November 2nd. This smells like a "distract the nerds from voting" ploy to me... :roll:

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 10-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Ha! That hadn't even occurred to me!

Well, I'm voting absentee anyway, so I've got plenty of time to go out on November 2nd and pick up my copy.

The question is, who would the "distract the nerds" strategy be aimed towards? Are nerds generally more liberal or more conservatve? I never really thought of nerdom being all that partisan :shock:

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!