The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 09-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf
Default Um, hello? Star Wars? Original Trilogy?

Jeez, do I have to make the threads for *everything* around here? It's been out for days!

*ahem* So I've finally waded through all the movies, commentaries, and special features -- and now I'm in the biggest Star Wars mania since the 1997 big screen treats.

Yeah, people are pissed about the changes. But I have no problems with anything on the DVDs. Well, except for that terrible new Jabba's Palace number, but that's not enough to turn me off completely.

Picture quality is better than real life's picture quality. Sound is amazing. The special features are very, very cool. And I'm in high gear anticipation for Episode III (just what they intended, I'm sure).

Of surprising interest was the segment on making the Episode III videogame. Apparently this time, they're going all out and actually are employing the help of the guy who coreographed the lightsabre duels in the prequels. From the sounds of things, this is going to be the best videogame fighting experience around. Not only did they get Mr. Coreographer to help, but Hayden Christensen came in too, and helped them get Anakin's character down to the bad@$$ he needs to be.

Episode III looks to be the best of the prequels already, and it might even be as good as the originals.

...anyway, back to the DVD set... if you don't have it already, get it.

Amen.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

We were too busy raving about Kira's perfectly timed trilogy.

I got the DVDs but haven't sat down to watch them. I want to take a day and do the whole run. Maybe with Kira's fivers in front of me. (Hey, where'd those dewbacks come from?)
Old 09-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

6 hours after the trilogy hit the stores it was in my house, baby. :P It took me 3 days to get through all the movies and special features ::shakes her fist at school and work:: But lemme tell ya, the picture quality on my HDTV is freaking awesome! I only wish that I had surround sound. But OMG, does that Anikan/Obi Wan duel of Epi 3 look wicked good or what? I'm so drooling.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:36 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

...Meh. I'm not so eager to buy these, as big a fan as I am. Mostly it's just a case of there are things that I'd rather spend my money on.

Well, that will be the case when I actually have some money, at any rate.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

So I brought em home but I've still only gotten through Episode 4. There were some interesting tidbits on the commentary, especially the insight on how then had to do things in 1977 given the technology of the time and their $10 million budget. Maybe Episode 5 tonight...
Old 09-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

It was only 40 bucks USD, PHJ. Nothin like the Star Trek Box sets.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

I was a Star Wars fan before I was a Star Trek fan.

I did buy both, but if I had to chose... I think Star Wars would win. Though only until I could afford the Trek

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:23 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
It was only 40 bucks USD, PHJ.
Well, more like fifty. But that's neither here nor there.

It's moot, anyway. Lee (my mother's parter) went and bought them. And I've just been finished watching ANH. And I have to say it's not that different from the '97 SE's, though Greedo shooting first is not only a stupid idea but badly executed too, and tha inserted Jabba scene is still just as redundant. There were also some horribly glaring matte lines at one point. Definite improvement in the final Death Star battle though.

On balance, it was okay, but I still wish there had been the option to watch the theatrical releases too.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Wow. So I just got through all three DVDs (with commentary--I now know more than I cared to about sounds you can make with a Dumpster) and am totally blown away all over again. I can't believe I still cried when Yoda died, all these years later. I'm such an old softie.

And given the chat about revisionist history in the fivers thread, and the TJI, I was startled but not surprised to see the little bit of revisionism George snuck into the end of Episode 6. Here I was, getting ready for that scene where there's that actor who doesn't look like--but I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it.

The anal-retentive in me is glad he did it, because now the six films link up a little better. But the other anal-retentive in me says, Hey! That's not the way it's supposed to be!

On careful consideration, however, I have reached a decision. I think they're both right.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

I have only watched Empire Strikes Back so far, man that is such a great movie, and yes I had tears when they freeze Han. The lightsabers are what I noticed the most, they look much, much better and the surround sound and picture quality were both excellent.